El Gouna dive opps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Potapko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings Red Sea lovers!
My friend and I are planning to go to Egypt the first week in March. We would like to primarily dive wrecks. From what I have found the best collection of wrecks within rec limits is at Abu Nahas. We are going to purchase a flight/hotel package so we will not be traveling around.

It appears that the best location from which to reach these wrecks is in El Gouna. Does anybody know an especially good dive op there in El Gouna? I have found a couple but it's hard to choose. A recommendation is always preferred. :14:

We are also looking at the Panorama hotel as a place to stay. Opinions welcome :)

You can also stay in Hurghada for these wrecks or Safaga. I did them from Hurghada (ok, we had to leave Hurghada at 5 am but we slept on the boat).
BUt unfortunately I can't be much of help for El Gouna.
Mania

Abu Nahas wrecks are best done from liveaboard boats. Another good option is the speed boats. I don't know if speed boats exist in Hurghada but they do exist in Sharm El Sheikh.

Yes Mania you are right. Same goes for ordinary boats from Sharm as well. For example, you can go to the Thistlegorm using an ordinary daily boat but you have to go to the jetty at 4:30 AM. If you're using a speed boat, you go there by 7:30 AM.

TheDivingPreacher, feel free to PM me in case you need any help.

Thanks for the responses.
I have checked around a bit and it looks like El Gouna is the closest location to these wrecks. The ops in Hurghada and Sharm all charge an extra fee to go the Abu Nahas locations. At least the ones I checked :)

Another approach since I am having a hard time booking a hotel in El Gouna. Is this the best place to wreck dive in the red sea? Should we go someplace else like Sharm or Marsa Alam or ?

We cannot do a livaboard at this time so we need the best "jumping off" location.

If you want wrecks, then you are in the best area (i.e. northern Red Sea). There aren't really any wrecks down around Marsa Alam, and out of Sharm you have the Million Hope, Dunraven and Thistlegorm, but as said before, you are going to have to get up early for some of these.

El Gouna is a reasonable resort, and I have dived with two ops – Dive Tribe and TGI (Tropical Gangsters Incorporated). Both were very slick and professional – TGI had a Pro 48 jet boat that could hit the Thistlegorm in a couple of hours! – so you wouldn't go wrong with either.

From El Gouna you will be able to do Thistlegorm, maybe Rosalie Moller if they will let you/can find it, and the Abu Nuhas wrecks – Carnatic, Kimon M, Chrisoula K and Ghiannis D.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom