Elearning For Junior Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My son would like to enrol into the junior open water course. The idea would be to do the pool sessions and open water dives this summer during our holidays, and we are thinking about getting him to do the self study via the e-learning ipad app.

Has anyone had experience with kids using the e-learning app ? Any real life feedback much appreciated !

I'm an instructor that works in a resort based environment and I really like it. You'll probably get a mixture of reviews but in my experience, I think the results of e-learning, especially in kids is generally better.

It does depend on the student - how motivated are they to learn etc but I find that if they want to do well then the e-learning does facilitate this.

It also depend on how/where the course is being conducted. If done back home then some centres run some really good programs where the theory is scheduled over a period of weeks and the student gets a solid learning experience.

If done on vacation then typically, the theory section of the course is allocated a day in the classroom. Both work, but if the student has issues with anything and needs more time on a subject then there is generally less wiggle room on the resort based course.

The other advantage is that often kids don't like spending their vacation sat in a classroom, especially while the rest of the family are out doing something fun.

My son did his coursework via the e-learning modules when he was 13. I thought the e-learning worked great as I was able to have conversations with him about the material as he was learning it, and address any of his questions. E-learning also allowed me to review the answers to his topic exams and address questions he got wrong to make sure that he understood the material. I can't say that he was thrilled with dad looking over his shoulder at the time, but I think those conversations we had during his e-learning opened the door for us to have conversations on things I'd like him to focus on before getting wet.

I was able to have conversations with him about the material as he was learning it, and address any of his questions.
I don't have personal experience with it, but I think that's an important detail. No matter how good e-learning is in some respects, it lacks the immediate feedback you have with a traditional classroom environment. If there's already a knowledgeable diver available, they can help with any concepts that aren't readily understood, (largely) eliminating that drawback.

I'm still inclined to think that there's a great deal to be said about a traditional setting where there's a pool session once a week, and all the skills are reviewed the following week. Most people have better retention with the repetition separated by breaks, but that's probably also a bit less true for those who have an immediate buddy with a good bit of experience.

My 13 yo nephew just finished the PADI e-learning and starts his sessions next week. He reported no problems, but they live in an area with real good connectivity. His older brother did the advanced class e-learning three years ago and had no problems. When he got to his instruction site in Hawaii for the in-water stuff, everything was fine. I think the younglings are so comfortable with it by now, they might find the classroom instruction I did twenty years ago to be boring and quaint. I did remind them that getting certified is like driver's education. It teaches you how to pass the license test, not how to drive.

Our kids did it. However, as far as PADI it did not run on an iPad. Very annoying - may have changed by now.

When my daughter turned 10 (Jan 2014) she took the e-learning OW course. On weekends, we watched the videos and slides together on a MacBook Pro. We answered the review questions together. She did the final exam independently. It took a bit of time for her to understand how to use the dive tables but soon she was able to complete the exercises. (My recommendation is to print off some dive tables and use a highlighter for your son to find your pressure group and data. There are also dive planner blank sheets to calculate surface intervals, pressure groups, etc. These blank sheets were also useful.)

She passed the online exam and on holidays, she did her OW in Koh Tao. I believe she received a better understanding of the basic principles than she might have in a classroom session at the resort. I have seen how some resorts teach where they explain a concept and then ask a question about the concept. I do not think that is a good way to teach and learn.

Good luck with e-learning and diving with your son.

GJS

My daughter did the e-learning through SSI. Works on Mac and iPad just fine. She did fine with the course work. I answered any questions she had. Instructor also went through the material with her in class. She did fine on the test, and the instructor went back through the ones she missed to make sure she understood.

I'll probably have her go through the material again in the next few months before she goes diving.

Our kids did it. However, as far as PADI it did not run on an iPad. Very annoying - may have changed by now.
Called PADI "touch" same as elearning , works on iPad ..same cost as standard elearning.

Back
Top Bottom