Electronic Dive Log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saniflush

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So have decided that I am going to go electronic with my dive log.
What software/app has everyone been using? There seem to be about 3-5 major ones and a whole lot of others. Any guidance as to pitfalls or pluses with any of them would be appreciated.
(sorry if this is heavily troddened ground. I did a search but did not see anything that specifically addressed this)
Thanks in advance

If you have a Mac, MacDive is awesome. Not only is it a really well designed system with great mobile phone interface, the developer is a terrific guy who is extremely responsive to bug reports, maintenance and upgrades.

I use Shearwater Desktop, but obviously limited to their computers. The Cloud version should be out of beta soon which is much anticipated. Prior to that I was using google sheets which has all of the info that I really need anyway

So have decided that I am going to go electronic with my dive log.
What software/app has everyone been using? There seem to be about 3-5 major ones and a whole lot of others. Any guidance as to pitfalls or pluses with any of them would be appreciated.
(sorry if this is heavily troddened ground. I did a search but did not see anything that specifically addressed this)
Thanks in advance

What do you want it for? I.e. if your goal is to save you copying stuff from comuter screen, then you want one that can download data from your computer. Etc.

I, as well as a lot of others here, use Subsurface. It's free and can dowload your logs from your dive computer or you can enter them manually. There is an android companion app that syncs thru the cloud so it is updated when you save the dives on your Windows computer. I think it even has an Apple version. It shows you graphs of your dives and gives you about any info you would need, especially for rec diving.

It is compatible with a wide variety of dive computers.

And did I mention it's free?

I, as well as a lot of others here, use Subsurface. It's free and can dowload your logs from your dive computer or you can enter them manually. There is an android companion app that syncs thru the cloud so it is updated when you save the dives on your Windows computer. I think it even has an Apple version. It shows you graphs of your dives and gives you about any info you would need, especially for rec diving.

It is compatible with a wide variety of dive computers.

And did I mention it's free?

Yup, free is good! Nothing wrong with SubSurface, it looks like a great project, and I have much respect for Linus Torvalds.

Just want to say that Nick Shore (developer of Mac-Dive) really has put his heart and soul into this product over many years. He has responded within hours to my requests for help, and it's a very polished interface with a tremendous range of features and data capabilities. So in the context of a hobby where people spend $1400 on a flashlight, I don't think that $25 is a deal breaker. I do like to support software development...!

I log my dives on my iPad using an app called Dive Log. (There is also an Android version I think, but I have no experience with it.) It isn't very fancy and it basically replaces the paper log, but it meets my needs.

Just started using MacDive. But I'll keep a paper log, as well.

Because I'm part Luddite and believe in redundancy, even though MacDive is backed up to iCloud. :wink:

Written log has all my notes on conditions, weighting, any issues, etc. I like MacDive to see the actual dive profile and stuff like that. So it's not really a duplication of effort when I'm using them for two different purposes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom