Embarrassing/weird q: itchy butt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23:
I also think it is the mesh. I do not wear those bathing suits anymore (swimming or diving). You should try board shorts. I wear boxers under boardshorts and no ichy ***.
I think speedo's are for gay french men. Hope no one takes offense to my last statement....its a joke lol

TIMMY!!!!!!

I've found spandex/lycra bike shorts to fit the bill too... if you can get them without padding even better. The are close fitting and don't bunch up... plus their a heck of a lot more modest than the traditional plum smugglers some choose to wear.

WadeGuthrie:
After I dive, if I can't change into dry clothes for 20 minutes or so, I get itchy butt. I'm blaming it on those stupid mesh underwear that are sewn into my swim trunks. I'm pretty sure this isn't type I DCS because I dive pretty conservatively, it happens all the time, and it only happens on my butt. Moreover, I have actually had it happen on the way out to a dive site (having not been in the water at all). I'm not sure it matters but I'm 43, 5'7", 160lbs and have about 150 dives.

Does anybody else get this? How should I combat it? I'm contemplating wearing speedos under my trunks to see if this fixes the problem.

Try washing your ***** at least once a week!

* This is a joke.

HydroAuto:
I've found spandex/lycra bike shorts to fit the bill too... if you can get them without padding even better. The are close fitting and don't bunch up...
You can always buy a pair of bike shorts and remove the maxi-pad from inside. There are various running and exercise togs that are similar to bike shorts without the padding.

I have opted for the quickdrying speedo under the wetsuit and I do a sly and subtle quick change so as to minimize the horror-factor. The shorts I put on are also extremely quick drying so it minimizes the time spent "wet". YMMV

Wristshot

You can pick up a pair of compression shorts at just about any Wally World. Just remember, potato in the front. :D

OK now we have three great threads going - peeing in your wetsuit, farting in your drysuit and itchy butts. I guess we must feel comfortable with each other.

I've always worn a pair of regular spandex shorts (not bike shorts) under my wetsuit. That's always worked well for me.

I lived on a sailboat for a number of years and I don't think it's the mesh, we had this problem no matter what we wore anytime it became wet and stayed that way for some time. The mesh may increase the irritation, but staying wet, especially in saltwater will cause a problem. First, the solution once you have the problem, is a good bath and hydro-cortisone cream 2% over night.

Why is the problem worse in saltwater? Because salt in itself is irritating on skin in that it will crystalize in clothes and irritate skin that is nornmally dry, plus it absorbs moisture (hydroscopic) which keeps the area moist, soft, and irritated (not to mention this condition 'grows' things we don't want to think about). When among 'close' friends, the best bet is to shuck out of the wet suit on deck. Either wear something else (dry) or go AL la buff.

When we stayed wet for say a week at a time, we came down with boils you don't want to know about. So much for the glamour of crusing.

Stan

serambin:
I lived on a sailboat for a number of years and I don't think it's the mesh.
Nope. It's the mesh. The sadists who designed that stuff should be forced at gunpoint to sit in their wet shorts on a concrete step for an hour, and then see what an "impression" it made on them.

I always tear the mesh out and get on with business.

Another thing you can try is to slather your hiney with oil or lotion every day after you shower. Seriously! It will help soothe your irritated skin. And who doesn't love a baby soft butt? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom