Emergency action plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I finally finished and completed my Rescue - after all that, the instructor didn't even ask about the emergency plans until i reminded him. When I gave him the plan after the course, he didn't even check it and tell me whether it was right or not..oh well.
The fact that your instructor didn't pay much attention to it doesn't change the fact that now you know a whole lot more about what you should be putting into your pre-diving plans than you did before! :)

And you know something about instructors? They often have more to impart to their students than there is time for during the course.

One thing you might do if you're motivated to follow up...

Go over to the dive shop when your instructor is there, you can call ahead and make an appointment, and spend 15 minutes or so going over your emergency plan. Your instructor will likely be happy to go over what you've got there and make any suggestions that might be appropriate for the local diving in your area. Your instructor does not stop being your instructor just because the class is over. :wink:

I hope you found the class very rewarding, and hope you can put the knowledge to use in your diving.

Doc

I was a paramedic in college and we reviewed numerous plans. Here are some of the questions you need to answer in the plan (level of detail is up to you).

1. Immediate assistance
1a. Access to Emergency equipment (O2, AED)
1b. Emergency Facilities in walking proximity
1c. Shelter, Warmth, Food and Water
2. Contact methods and numbers
2a. Public phone locations
2b. Cellphone
2c. Signal Flares
2d. Beach Fire
2e. EMS number
2f. S&R number
2g. Family/ Emergency contacts
3. Where are we and how do we communicate it to emergency personnel?
3a. Local name
3b. Landmark relationship
3c. GPS coordinates
4. What are the access points for EMS?
5. Who are we (Name, Age, Sex)
5a. SAMPLE History
5b. Medical Insurance Info

The most interesting EAP I ever received from an OW student was turned in by a flight nurse on a local Life Flight. He handed it to me and said, "If anything happens to me DO NOT call 911, call this number and give them these coordinates and the helicopter will come. I don't want any local yokel volunteer EMS touching me I want the best." Too funny!
Ber :lilbunny:

I was a paramedic in college and we reviewed numerous plans. Here are some of the questions you need to answer in the plan (level of detail is up to you).

1. Immediate assistance
-1a. Access to Emergency equipment (O2, AED)
-1b. Emergency Facilities in walking proximity
-1c. Shelter, Warmth, Food and Water

2. Contact methods and numbers
-2a. Public phone locations
-2b. Cellphone
-2c. Signal Flares
-2d. Beach Fire
-2e. EMS number
-2f. S&R number
-2g. Family/ Emergency contacts
-2h. Divers Alert Network emergency number, America: +1-919-684-4326

3. Where are we and how do we communicate it to emergency personnel?
-3a. Local name
-3b. Landmark relationship
-3c. GPS coordinates

4. What are the access points for EMS?

5. Who are we (Name, Age, Sex)
-5a. SAMPLE History
-5b. Medical Insurance Info

That is a good list and will get you researching the right things to know
(I added the DAN number)

Welcome to ScubaBoard :)

You might want to use the newest DAN emergency number:

(919) 684-9111

See:
DAN Debuts "One Call" – One Number, All Assistance
at:
DAN Divers Alert Network

I never did one at all, I'm reading this with my mouth open. I wasn't asked for it and, of course, didn't do one. Can someone post one or PM me with an example?

I didn't do one either. I recently did one for my DM course as it is a required component. Am I correct that it is not a requirement for Rescue and it may be something some instructors decide to add on their own?

Back
Top Bottom