Emergency Air Source

Select your emergency air source when diving solo:

• I Stay within my CESA (surface bail out) depth limit.

Votes: 23 16.9%
  • I ALWAYS carry redundant air supply (pony or doubles).

Votes: 88 64.7%
  • I Carry redundant air source ONLY when diving past CESA limit.

Votes: 16 11.8%
  • I Rarely or never carry backup air regardless of depth.

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Which option best describes your emergency air source when diving solo?

I don't solo below 90 ft or so without a buddy. or with a dirty deco load.

But, I think I will get a pony soon. Although I don't really have interest in deep solo.

So..my answer is the surface, CESA depths.

< 40' single tank
40'-100' pony
> 100' doubles

Independents or a buddy for me. :)

catherine96821:

But, I think I will get a pony soon. Although I don't really have interest in deep solo.

Are you saying you are comfortable doing a CESA from 90 feet?

I hope reading this doesn't encourage anyone else to try diving solo 90ft deep without redundant gas. I wonder what your chance of survival is if something happens to your gas supply? Would you be comfortable with having your buddy turn your tank valve off at 90feet by surprise, and do a CESA to practice for this? I hope you wouldn't be, and I hope no one else reads this and think its a safe thing to do.

catherine96821:

Originally Posted by Deepbound
I hope reading this doesn't encourage anyone else to try diving solo 90ft deep without redundant gas. I wonder what your chance of survival is if something happens to your gas supply? Would you be comfortable with having your buddy turn your tank valve off at 90feet by surprise, and do a CESA to practice for this? I hope you wouldn't be, and I hope no one else reads this and think its a safe thing to do.
Anyone who reads something on the internet and then decides to go out and try it for real pretty much deserves whatever happens to them IMO...

A question was asked and aswered and while I think some of the questions you asked are relevant, and the concerns about lurkers would be justified in another forum, I feel that this is the place to answer questions honestly, if anywhere on SB...

It´s all a question of risk vs. reward and it´s all relative/personal, if you can´t even get recognition of that in here then I think we have a bigger problem than "scores of cyberdivers dying of OOA´s, solo @ 90ft"...

ymmv

People fly single engine aircraft, some crash from engine failure and the pilot is killed. Some make emergency landings and live. There is no shortage of single engine aircraft or pilots willing to fly them. I view my choosing to solo with no back up the same..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom