Emergency Communication w/ Surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
I've been wondering if you could do a setup dive and drop, say, three times as much gas as you need -- maybe near the bow, stern and upline -- along with a tank tied off at 20' and maybe one at 70'. Then you wouldn't have just one cache of tanks to miss on your big dive...

I suppose what would suck there is if the weather shifted and you had to abandon a bunch of tanks on the wreck....
Sounds like a good way to complicate things.................. not to mention the additional logistics and planning required to drop and pick up so much redundant gas that's only there to be additional (ie not figured into the gas plan)

I like the surface support at 70' idea a whole lot better.

FWIW I'm not deco/pen/cave trained so this is an "outside" perspective.

lamont:
I've been wondering if you could do a setup dive and drop, say, three times as much gas as you need -- maybe near the bow, stern and upline -- along with a tank tied off at 20' and maybe one at 70'. Then you wouldn't have just one cache of tanks to miss on your big dive...

I suppose what would suck there is if the weather shifted and you had to abandon a bunch of tanks on the wreck....

On technical dives it's typical to use a 70 ft gas and a 20 ft gas anyway. In OW we carry what we need. There are situations where it might be appropriate to leave bottles outside the entrance if you are sure you'll be exiting the same way but there's never any insurance that you'll make it back to the mooring line at all.

Also in some areas live boating is the way they dive. That means that the plan is to drift with the current during deco when you leave the wreck and be picked up by the boat down current.

the diver to surface comms providing a big increase in safety in technical diving is mostly a red herring.

GoBlue!:
Let me preface this by saying that I have not yet been trained in deco or any sort of penetration diving. I'm not looking for training on-line, but I just finished reading "The Last Dive" and was a bit struck by the possibility of potential reduction of DCI-related morbidity & mortality if divers in trouble were able to communicate with the surface.

I don't want to bring up any specific accident, but the type in question is one in which a diver requiring substantial decompression finds himself on the bottom, separated from his buddy, w/ inadequate gas to complete decompression. Let's not talk about how this would never happen without proper planning & buddy awareness; let's discuss the type of scenario such as Chowdhury's description of his own accident....i.e., the "I f*&#ed up" dive.

Chowdhury suggests that if full face masks w/ built-in communication devices were utilized more often, perhaps divers in trouble would be able to communicate their problems to their buddy and/or the surface.

I'd like to consider something else, which may well be standard operating procedure for all I know. Seems to me that if a diver (this is all assuming deep open water, by the way...not cave) had a DSMB that is ONLY used for emergency (and discussed this w/ the surface team), s/he could deploy the DSMB alerting the surface that there is a problem. Heck, a small slate could even be permanently mounted on the ascent line immediately below the marker, and if the diver was capable, a message could be written to the surface support crew, e.g., "out of air, need 2 tanks air." Markers without a message could alert a surface diver to descend directly to the diver (heck, just follow the line), or those w/ a message could be acted upon.

I realize that this would not be useful for the diver trapped within a wreck and would not be useful in a cave, but I was surprised by the number of deaths or near-misses that could've been prevented...even after the diver has screwed up....by surface support coming to the rescue.

And yes, of course the diver should be with a buddy who can share gas, etc. What I'm describing would not REPLACE current procedures, but would be for that dire emergency where someone has royally messed up & is fighting to survive.
A downside, I realize, is carrying an extra DSMB/slate which would only have emergency use...that is, hopefully would never be used in one's career but would be carried on every dive. Perhaps a way to alter the diver's standard DSMB to flag the surface of an emergency instead of an ascent line?

Sorry about the long-winded post. I thought "The Last Dive" was a very interesting read, and it got me thinking about a lot of aspects of diving that I had not yet thought about (and obviously have not been trained for, as previously mentioned).

Jim

I already do a slight variant of this. If we have such an emergency, we send up a second bag on the same line as our primary with a slate attached.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom