Engineering to Marine Biology?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When asked if I had it all to do over, O.E. was my answer.

Hey thanks everyone for the quick and useful replies. I am going to work harder and make calc my life for a while and get through it. But I'm not going to give up on marine studies. It is definitely where my heart is and I feel I have the potential to make a huge impact on the study. Thanks again everyone and wish me luck!

Brett

Luck.

Here's a trade magazine for the marine industry, science, defense, oil, electronics etc. It's free if you're in the industry, as an ocean engineering student you qualify. It lets you know whats happening.

I found my current job as an EPA contract tech when I saw there was a company two blocks away that was awarded the contract to operate the ship. I didn't even know the company existed prior to the article.

http://www.sea-technology.com/

currently im in my 3rd year of OE at FAU, i always disliked math, but i wasnt horrible at it and im making my way through. it has been worth it to me to do the math though. the OE group is pretty small and close knit, i have heard about 200 students start the program a year and between 8-16 graduate each year... so it isnt an easy major. actually its supposed to be the most difficult engineering at fau and has something like 134 credit hours required for a BS. but at the school, we have an active dive club, a human powered submarine team, and some interesting projects going on such as a remote controlled submarine that is controlled acoustically. there is a nice slide show about the program here Ocean Engineering at FAU [Home]
well i need to stop procrastinating, i have to finish a 2000 word essay for history of civilization...

I went the other way. Started with 2 years pre-med. Gave up when asked to memorize every single part of a cat and a shark. Just not what I do best.

Went on to biochemistry and finally chemistry where I got my first degree (B.Sc. Analytical Chemistry). No jobs, so continued on into Chemical Engineering. First job after graduation was as "computer person" at an oil company. Been in computers ever since.

Masters (M.Eng.) in Chemical Engineering (simulation of process reactor), but always worked in IT. Started teaching in 2000, been teaching IT ever since.

That said, before you head for Marine Biology, realize this - memorization is a BIG part of the pure sciences. When I was in pre-med, I took a 2nd year zoology course, and as mentioned earlier, had to disect sharks, piglets, cats, mice... then memorize EVERY SINGLE piece of them. Every muscle, nerve, tissue. I don't memorize well, so I bailed.

So - take some time to think about "who you are" and what your learning style is. You already said you are not having fun at math. However, a lot of what you said sounded like motivation. How are you at rote memorization? There's an awful lot of it in pure science, and especially in the "ologies" (zoo, bio).

However, if you decide/realize that you are good at the type of stuff that comprises marine biology, then by all means... GO FOR IT.

Cheers,

-S

Just to be clear. Are you recommending this organization from personal experience or are you flogging a program that you are part of?

Hi, normally I am a lurker on these types of boards, but your post compelled me to share my version.

I was like you in my desire to study marine biology. It started when I had an opportunity to dive the Great Barrier Reef while in High School, and I was hooked. As a kid, all I wanted to do was be a biologist of sorts, but after that first dive marine biology was my calling.

I attended Texas A&M Univ at Galveston (Texas A&M University at Galveston) and graduated with a BS in Marine Biology. I loved almost every class that I took there. In my time there, I was able to log near 500 dives, and even had the opportunity to dive with Texas Parks and Wildlife, Moody Gardens, and some professors doing research.

But then I graduated, with just a B.S. While I did intern with TPWD for two summers, it still was not enough to get me a job in the field. Even if I had managed to get a job, it would have paid less and $30k. I managed to snag a job consulting to Big Oil, focusing on projects that were marine related. In order to advance in business I realized I needed another degree, so I pursued a Master's in Marine Resource Management (also TAMUG). Now I work for Big Oil directly. I like what I do, but my hobby is what I love.

If you are going to go the research route, you will have to reside to the fact that you are going to need to get at least a Masters degree, and most likely a PhD. Also, you have to understand that you are not going to be bringing home the big bucks, even with a PhD. If you can live with a $45k/yr salary and having to be in school for another 10 years, go for it. It will be a rewarding and exciting experience.

Just remember to be true to yourself first, and ask yourself these questions:
1. Can I be happy on little money doing what I love?
2. Can I put up with pursuing a Masters (3-5 yrs) and possibly a PhD (3-5 yrs) after I get a BS?
3. Would I rather use my passion as a hobby and find something I can tolerate or possibly enjoy doing?

Maybe the EE isn't for you, like others have said the OE sounds like an interesting tract. The marine biology life isn't an easy one, and I tend to discourage people from studying marine biology unless they are capable of living on the smaller salary and want to do research. I do know people who are happy with their choices to pursue further education in the marine biology realm, so it is possible. Just be true to yourself.

Good luck with your choice, and may you find a career that makes you happy. Don't you just hate having to choose what you want to do for the rest of your life at 20?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom