Enriched Air Nitrox Certification - Why such variance in cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I Am at work -don't have my EAN charts in front of me- but will take a stab at it later. But 26 mins. is not what I consider a brief period of time.
Here--I will give you an easier one using a standard EANx mix with no violations of the 1.4 standard. This comes right out of my log book. The date was 10/14/16, and the dive was at Batu Klabit in Tulamben, Bali. We were diving with EANx 32. The maximum depth was 103 feet, and our total dive time was 63 minutes. The dive was well, well within NDLs according to the computer.

So let's say I was to do a planned dive to 80 feet after a one hour surface interval, but my computer failed after that first dive. Tell me how the tables would guide that second dive.

And to think I became a Instructor for the money, might be time to look for work at Mickey D's
I made less than minimum wage for most of the instruction I did there.

In general, when I see people lamenting the price of instruction, I think about the fact that the standard rate for plumbing in my area is $175/hour.

I made less than minimum wage for most of the instruction I did there.

In general, when I see people lamenting the price of instruction, I think about the fact that the standard rate for plumbing in my area is $175/hour.
I agree, plus I found out being in 2 scuba clubs the more training you over for nothing the more people want everything for nothing

Here--I will give you an easier one using a standard EANx mix with no violations of the 1.4 standard. This comes right out of my log book. The date was 10/14/16, and the dive was at Batu Klabit in Tulamben, Bali. We were diving with EANx 32. The maximum depth was 103 feet, and our total dive time was 63 minutes. The dive was well, well within NDLs according to the computer.

So let's say I was to do a planned dive to 80 feet after a one hour surface interval, but my computer failed after that first dive. Tell me how the tables would guide that second dive.
you got me on that-- since PADI 32 chart does not go past 25 min. for 110 ft. will have to speculate you are coming out of dive 1 as a Z pressure group- after 1hr. SI -you would go to J PG- on dive 2 max BT will be only 20 mins. at 80 ft- but this is speculation. This is why when I took my Padi tech deep training I was taught reduntcy on all gear-I dive with 2 Shearwater perdix plus always a backup -to my way of thinking you should always have a back to your backup, that is why I carry 3 cutting devices also and sidemount dive.

you got me on that-- since PADI 32 chart does not go past 25 min. for 110 ft. will have to speculate you are coming out of dive 1 as a Z pressure group- after 1hr. SI -you would go to J PG- on dive 2 max BT will be only 20 mins. at 80 ft- but this is speculation. This is why when I took my Padi tech deep training I was taught reduntcy on all gear-I dive with 2 Shearwater perdix plus always a backup -to my way of thinking you should always have a back to your backup, that is why I carry 3 cutting devices also and sidemount dive.
According to all tables, the first dive was deep into decompression. I should have done the longest deco stop possible with my gas and then sat out for 24 hours. Using the computer, I did a one hour surface interval and then did a dive to 84 feet for more than an hour.

Your earlier point was that if you know how to use the tables, you can continue diving after your computer conks out. My reply showed that if your first dive is multi-level, you cannot use the tables for a second dive if the computer conks out, because your first dive will likely be off the table. The vast majority of my dives are multi-level, so my in-depth knowledge of the tables would do me no good in the case of a computer failure.

According to all tables, the first dive was deep into decompression. I should have done the longest deco stop possible with my gas and then sat out for 24 hours. Using the computer, I did a one hour surface interval and then did a dive to 84 feet for more than an hour.

Your earlier point was that if you know how to use the tables, you can continue diving after your computer conks out. My reply showed that if your first dive is multi-level, you cannot use the tables for a second dive if the computer conks out, because your first dive will likely be off the table. The vast majority of my dives are multi-level, so my in-depth knowledge of the tables would do me no good in the case of a computer failure.
agreed with all your points but I still think for recreational diving using Nitrox a student should also be taught use of tables-what is i a extra 1/2 hour of our time..

agreed with all your points but I still think for recreational diving using Nitrox a student should also be taught use of tables-what is i a extra 1/2 hour of our time..
It took me one heck of a lot longer than 1/2 hour to teach the tables.

You should think about interference theory. When you add to the curriculum, you do not simply get more learning. You can, in fact, get less. When you want people to learn ABC, teaching XYZ, stuff they don't need to know, interferes with their ability to learn ABC. In modern instructional design, you identify the critical learnings and design instruction so that you are darn sure students learn that. You identify the stuff that is good to know but not critical, and you design instruction so they are likely to learn it and remember it. You identify the stuff that is nice to know, and you include it without emphasis. You identify that which they don't need to know, and you leave it out.

It took me one heck of a lot longer than 1/2 hour to teach the tables.

You should think about interference theory. When you add to the curriculum, you do not simply get more learning. You can, in fact, get less. When you want people to learn ABC, teaching XYZ, stuff they don't need to know, interferes with their ability to learn ABC. In modern instructional design, you identify the critical learnings and design instruction so that you are darn sure students learn that. You identify the stuff that is good to know but not critical, and you design instruction so they are likely to learn it and remember it. You identify the stuff that is nice to know, and you include it without emphasis. You identify that which they don't need to know, and you leave it out.
thanks- good food for taught

Yeah the Nitrox tables are considerably more complicated. Nevertheless, I would think they could be learned fairly easily by reading the steps carefully. Especially considering this is me writing this.

When I used to teach nitrox with tables I added another night just so I could get everyone up to speed on the tables.

Back
Top Bottom