Entering the water without resurfacing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As a 'solo diver' do you find yourself entering the water and not resurfacing as is typical with buddy diving?? Simply re-checking your gear and plan after the bubbles clear beginning your dive??

When I hit the water I'm headed down.

Solo or not, I'm usually headed down. I'll wait for a particularly slow buddy.

Unless it's important to descend immediately, I don't mind wasting a few seconds to pop back to the surface after my entry. That makes it easier to sort out any problems I may have created for myself....

However, that's coming from a "sufficiently talented fool", as captain describes in his sig line. Absent-mindedness happens even to experienced divers. :D

Besides, about 5 seconds after I pop back up, I'm headed back down, and I don't resurface until I've used up almost every bit of my air, even if used in a safety stop.... "Air is for breathing", an old timer once told me. I agree. :)

I more than make up for any wasted time on the surface.... :D

Dave C

For me, once I hit the water less an emerg. I head out!

I use the same technique, buddy or solo. Practice makes perfect.

Unless I know my partner is expecting me on the surface, I head down. We generally meet at about 10'. It is easier to wait at 10' than at the surface. And easier to do a bubble check!

Never considered surfacing typical for buddy diving, usually wait below a bit for my buddy unless there's some actual reason to be on the surface. The majority of people I've seen appear to do the same, actually.

With a buddy: I prefer to head down immediately when I hit the water, but I will wait either just below the surface or on the surface if that is what my buddy needs me to do for them to be comfortable/safe; or if the boat captain wants it.... and I always descend/ascend with my buddy.

Solo: Once "the pool's open", I'm gone :D

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom