Eon Steel won't 'Wake Up'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xhris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Got a brand new Eon Steel today...
All excited I plug it in... nothing
I wait 30 minutes... Nothing
I call tech support... They will Elevate it.. But I haven't heard anything back

Did I just buy a really expensive paperweight?
The ONLY sign of life is a red blinking LED on the left hand middle of the screen..

Help?!

Xhris,

Sorry to hear that. It sounds to me, in my unprofessional opinion, that you got a bum deal. I would go right back to the LDS if you didn't buy it online. Else have you tried to plug it into a computer or a wall plug? If the battery is dead your computer may not have enough amps on the USB port to charge it and your computer may be able to wake it up via the USB if there is something wrong with the firmware load. So try both and give the wall charger some time if you didn't already try that.

You can also try to PM hendrix the suunto rep. That way he will get an EMail that lets him know your needing his help.

Good luck

Thanks - I was able to isolate the problem to the wire, so its a pretty simple fix. The idea that I can't get a response from the website, email, or phone is really disturbing tho. Chances are I won't keep it for that reason alone...

So what happened? Did you return it? Did they replace a charging cable?

So what happened? Did you return it? Did they replace a charging cable?
I returned it, after many calls to tech support, and many E-mails I couldn't get a simple answer. Sad you pay 2 grand for something and the company is unwilling to support it, on something as stupid as a bad wire, that they probably don't even make....

Sh%a*rw%ter... just saying...

I have a petrel, I wanted something with AI for easy logging for these trips where we do what feels like 100 dives. Thought this was a good alternative, obviously I was wrong. I'll be sticking to my Sol + Petrel2 combo.

In the past SUUNTO had such outstanding customer service. Now it seems like huge ordeal to even get a reply from someone and when you do get ahold of someone they do everything in their power to make it seem like operator error. I have an original cobra with less than 100 dives on it with a malfunctioning depth sensor of course it is out of warranty but I have also heard of many problems with the depths sensors of Cobra 1 and 2 computers as well as a few others that use the same sensor. I have an original Solution that has been working perfectly for over 20 years and hundreds of dives. I recently purchased a Eon steel and hope that it can give me better functionality than my Cobra, time will tell. I'm very saddened that a company I have trusted and supported for so long seems to be going down the drain in regards to customer service. WAKE UP SUUNTO! you can make the best product in the world but if you get the reputation of horrific customer service good luck selling anything...

DLEGARE - Please do update us after you've had sufficient time to review the Eon Steel!

I returned it, after many calls to tech support, and many E-mails I couldn't get a simple answer. Sad you pay 2 grand for something and the company is unwilling to support it, on something as stupid as a bad wire, that they probably don't even make....

I have a petrel, I wanted something with AI for easy logging for these trips where we do what feels like 100 dives. Thought this was a good alternative, obviously I was wrong. I'll be sticking to my Sol + Petrel2 combo.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb2: :thumb2:

DLEGARE - Please do update us after you've had sufficient time to review the Eon Steel!

I've only done 8 dives with it but so far so good. The computer is quite bulky and has a very heavy feel, I don't notice the weight at all in the water.

The display brightness can be adjusted but can be a bit hard to read even at full brightness in full sunlight.

What's no to love about rechargeable batteries.

This is my first AI computer and I had reservations because I've been diving since the advent of AI and it can be a real pain at times. With the EON Steel pairing the POD is extremely easy and I haven't noticed any drop outs at all. I'm curious what would happen if I where diving with other Eon Steel users with tank pods.

The ability to customize what is displayed on the screen is a nice touch, you can also change from a graphical view to a digital view. Again this is a nice touch.

The download/charging cord attaches very firmly to the computer and recognition of the computer and downloading has been fairly quick and problem free.

And the ability to receive updates is again a nice plus.

I really like this computer. The only question now is how long will it last? Is it going to die in less than 100 dives, or will I have it for 20 years or more, I'm hoping for the latter but time will tell...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom