EOS Rebel XT Advice Needed (Lenses/Housing, etc.)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last night checked bh and starter kits are fairly priced so maybe I'll get the 400d.
Since it just got out of the oven, there'll be some time before some new model comes around, so makes sense to get it now if you're starting.

Housing, I think that first I got to master it on land before attempting it UW.
I bet there will be many options to choose from when the time comes to get one.

:) If you plan on mail ordering, the only thing I would suggest is to find a local store that might have the 400D and try it with a heavier lens than the kit lens and see how it feels in your hands. Depending on your hand size, some people find the grip too small and uncomfortable.

The XTi was just recommended to me by a pro photography friend who's opinion I respect.
According to him Canon is preffered by quite a few pros especially for underwater photos and this is a fine example.

I looked through several issues of Scuba Diver and several other magazines and looked at what the pro's were shooting, of course I couldn't afford their high-end stuff but at the 8.2 MP format the Canon EOS 20D seems to be the camera of choice. So I got a Canon EOS 20D, Ikelite Housing, 6" dome port, DS51 strobe with arm, a set of 2 Tamron lenses (28-80 mm and 70-300 mm) 2-gig worth of Compact flash cards, case, tripod...anything needed for the 20D below or above the surface! All for less than $3000.00 with shipping!

If you are interested in how, let me know, I can't guarentee the camera price (got the body for $700) the rest should be doable with the body or a kit at around $850 (just body) or $1100.00 with two lenses and some goodies.

Got the Ikelite with the DS51 strobe for $1925 plus shipping.

Mike

That's what my friend uses too. A 20D and he says he is very happy with it.
I was leaning towards Nikon as I always liked them, but really have no experience with them, then I asked him for his opinion.
This is waht he said, "For recommendations... its easy bro. Before digital gear was established/accepted (worthy on print quality)... Nikon ruled. And they still are top 3 in the world for general photography (though they have slipped badly in the underwater category... barely top 5 in recent polls among pros). But Canon has simply dominated underwater imaging. Their softwarer and hardware are far and away tops IMO for both land and undersea photography."

Now, this is clearly just his opinion and I didn't bother asking which poll he was refering to... didn't need to know, but I'm thinking I will go with his recommendation as he has quite good experience in this field.

Fastmarc:
That's what my friend uses too. A 20D and he says he is very happy with it.
I was leaning towards Nikon as I always liked them, but really have no experience with them, then I asked him for his opinion.
This is waht he said, "For recommendations... its easy bro. Before digital gear was established/accepted (worthy on print quality)... Nikon ruled. And they still are top 3 in the world for general photography (though they have slipped badly in the underwater category... barely top 5 in recent polls among pros). But Canon has simply dominated underwater imaging. Their softwarer and hardware are far and away tops IMO for both land and undersea photography."

Now, this is clearly just his opinion and I didn't bother asking which poll he was refering to... didn't need to know, but I thinking I will go with his recommendation as he has quite good experience in this field.
Hehehehhe, be careful how you mention this Marc.......
Lol, now if you'll excuse me i'll sit back and watch the responses :wink::wink:

Your friend is perhaps a bit inaccurate, among those shooting dslr's underwater, Nikon is certainly within the top 3, as to which number I don't know..

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:.

You're looking to buy a DSLR for topside usage?

@Pak, that avatar needs to go!! :p

Hey Jam.
LOL... I should be safe, right.
Only Canon people monitor this thread, right?
Hey, who's there in the shadows.....

I really have no preference, really. If I was to buy impulsively, it would have been Nikon.
This fellow spends all his time travelling the world taking pictures, both underwater and topside, though that is mostly marine fish tanks and the likes. He publishes several books and posters. Based on what I have seen him taken, I respect his opinion. One of his partner uses a Nikon and likes it, but he leans towards Canon based on whatever. He's also not the type that make loose comments.
Anyway, I'm not trying to get a perfect buy, just a good one and it doesn't sounds like I can go too wrong with the XTi. Based on what I have read and what he said, it is a good introductory prosumer and there really isn't much advantage jumping to a 30D unless I plan on making money from it.

Hey, did you check out those other photos I posted on Cow Bay?

Fastmarc:
Hey Jam.
LOL... I should be safe, right.
Only Canon people monitor this thread, right?
Hey, who's there in the shadows.....

I really have no preference, really. If I was to buy impulsively, it would have been Nikon.
This fellow spends all his time travelling the world taking pictures, both underwater and topside, though that is mostly marine fish tanks and the likes. He publishes several books and posters. Based on what I have seen him taken, I respect his opinion. One of his partner uses a Nikon and likes it, but he leans towards Canon based on whatever. He's also not the type that make loose comments.
Anyway, I'm not trying to get a perfect buy, just a good one and it doesn't sounds like I can go too wrong with the XTi. Based on what I have read and what he said, it is a good introductory prosumer and there really isn't much advantage jumping to a 30D unless I plan on making money from it.

Hey, did you check out those other photos I posted on Cow Bay?
I did, really nice photos from you :).

Well I won't get into the merits or disadvantages of each system Canon v. Nikon, or else this thread will be going on for another 10 yrs.
And frankly I don't think the differences are that great for a beginner....

Thing to remember about Dslr's is that you're not just buying a camera you're buying a 'system' for lack of a letter word, you'll be wed to that particular lens mount as long as you have that brand of body....

It would be useful and instructive to get a feel for each camera's ergonomics, pecularities in menu structure, operation, battery life et cetera........

Discount centre Pharmacy in Manor Park has a Nikon D70 for sale...
I don't recommend buying it there because it's going for the highway robbery price of J$118,000.00 (near US$1800).
A new D70 should be around US$700 or perhaps a bit less.....
Anyway take it out of the case, D70 has nice ergonomics, viewfinder, don't know if the camera can't be turned on, battery might not be charged or something.....

Head over to dpreview, read the reviews, there's also a useful side by side comparison tool there..
Weigh the pro's and cons, research, get opinions from knowledgeable friends, the pro friend you mentioned would be perfect to give you advice....

Xti and D70 fall into the entry level dslr market... D50 does also and goes for less.. Great value for your money (US$600)
Xt is the previous incarnation of the Xti and come Christmas can be had for great prices.......
Something to consider.

Obviously the best place to purchase this is abroad, Adorama, B&H photo video, amazon are all great places to make your purchase.
Personally I lean towards Adorama or B&H as I can physically visit these stores when I travel to NY to visit relatives.....

And finally it's not the camera, it's the person behind it that matters....
It's just a tool (albeit a very expensive one.....), a medium, a means of expressing yourself creatively...
Having expensive toys won't make you a better photog, only practice and application will I think....

My signature is there for a reason :wink:.......

Cheers and personally i'm leaning towards the Xt or XTI...

Btw, check the Observer on Sunday, I have a photo in there :D :).

Hey Jam,

Thanks for mentioning those stores in NY. I also frequently go there to visit my girlfriend.
I looked at the address for Adorama and thought it looked familiar only to realise that it must be that place below Leisure Pro. Just never got the chance to stop in there. I was just there a couple of weeks ago when my dive trip to the Flower Gardens got cancelled. I'll make sure to do that next time.
I think I'll definitely stay wide of Discount for something like that. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom