EOS Rebel XT Advice Needed (Lenses/Housing, etc.)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cfelliot, take a look at the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 (EX version). Real nice lens for half the price of the Canon equivalent. But doesn't have USM. It's my primary walk around lens and it does pretty well u/w as well...

Add the Sigma 17-70 macro lens to your choices. Good price - $340ish at www.sigma4less.com - and a great range, does a good job of letting you get close (real close!) and it does a good job (on the 20D at least) of letting you get real close to something small even if you need to crop (the crops are quite good quality). Obviously not the perfect way to shoot the tiny things, but a good "all rounder".

Thanks for the tips on Sigma. I'm going to go look this weekend!

alcina:
12-24 range Sigma, Tamron, Tokina These should have been on my previous list. I do not have them but know lots of shooters who do and love them to bits. Worth looking at if you think the 10-22 range lenses are just too wide for your needs right now or out of your price range.

Alcina,
i was not aware that ikelite made a port for the Sigma 12-24?.. I have this lens and would hate to get another wide zoom solely for underwater use...(its bad enough i cant get a housing for my EOS D30!!)

You'll have to ask Ikelite if they have a port for it; they make ports for a ton of lenses but not all. I thought Ike also had a 30D housing? But I never considered the 30D so am not too "up" on who offers what for it.

I checked the Ikelite site and Sigma 12-24mm doesnt show..mebbe i should call.

As far as the housing.. unfortunately i am in the digital dark ages... the D30 was their first prosumer DSLR ...D30 > D60 > 10D > 20D > 30D.

A whopping 3.1MP but other than AF issues in low light it still is a great camera.

Where would be a good place to but a 350d at a reasonable price with all warranties?

Mandy, try bhphotovideo.com and www.adorama.com

But to be honest, if you have the budget I would strongly recommend the 400D/ Xti which is only $180-$200 more than the 350D/XT body. As a owner of both a 350D and 400D, the larger LCD alone is almost worth it, plus the improvements in the autofocusing (not that the 350D AF is bad).

edit: if you plan on housing the 350D, that $200 difference is gonna be peanuts when you start adding a couple lenses, ports/dome, strobes, arms, etc... :D

Here's a review of the 400D at dpreview.com
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/

Also Ikelite has announced a 400D housing.
http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/2dslr_400d.html

Sigma 12-24 is too fat to work in the Ikelite ports.

We can do custom gears for the Sigma 17-70 or Sigma 18-50 in all of the housings we sell. It takes about a week, and prices range from $110-$200 (depending upon the housing).

Hey Ryan, slight thread hijack...

Do you know if a custom focus ring could be made for the Canon 100mm f.28 macro USM lens and a Sea & Sea compact macro port?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom