Equalization education is poorly taught.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right on both accounts. It's a fun, fun swim.

I will be following this thread eagerly as my young teenage daughter claims that she can't equalize her ears.

I think I would rather swim/Freedive there than scuba... because that vent really blows sand into your gear. It is cool to look up from there!

Sorry to hear of you audio problems

You certainly must recognize that the modern dive classes are very abbreviated in length and content

I agree more time should be spent on many aspects of diving , but the restrictive time restraints in the modern basic diving class does no allow to adequate time to cover all aspects of diving.

Some day proper equalization techniques will be discussed and maybe practiced in class

Many years ago there was a board titled "Free Dive List."
Eighteen years ago the Free Dive List organized and sponsored the huge 2000 Free Dive Party which was the last gathering of the worlds "Fathers of Free diving and Spear fishing." It was a very monumental event in the history of spear fishing . The 50 or so fathers came from all points of the globe for this last hurrah; Central and South America, Europe, Australia, the Pacific Islands and North America -three were honored from Orange County California the late Ron Merker, (@ dr bills instructor) Allan (Omar) Wood and my self.

We all had several thing in common; we all began diving in the 1930s and 1940s prior to Cousteau and his bubble machine graced our shores and all those who were active participants from that era all suffered from reduced hearing.
Hearing aids were a common accessory to most attendees, If not a lot of "Hu ? what did you say was hears during the day"

Some will state it was longevity others improper equalizing techniques -- But one thing was evident we all were suffering from partial or almost complete hearing loss.
FYI
Only a hand full of the Fathers have survived the passage of the last eighteen years ~~ One by one they have passed on and are now diving on that big reef in the sky.-- the end of an era

SDM. III

Just don’t plug your nose all the way practicing... actually I do it on land and sometimes underwater without plugging my nose at all. ( Usually underwater I do but sometimes I can do it freehand.) The great thing about Frenzel is it works with a head down descent, like a hot drop In Jupiter Florida for example.

Thanks for the advice. I realized that I have been doing the Frenzel for years - just not with diving. I have a chronic mild sinus infection that recurs no matter how strong/long an antibiotic treatment is. I've been doing the Frenzel to clear post nasal drip for forever. I can't wait to try it out in the water.

Thanks for the advice. I realized that I have been doing the Frenzel for years - just not with diving. I have a chronic mild sinus infection that recurs no matter how strong/long an antibiotic treatment is. I've been doing the Frenzel to clear post nasal drip for forever. I can't wait to try it out in the water.
Oh that sounds uncomfortable and not good for diving. Have you tried a Neti pot? Do Neti Pots Really Work?

Oh that sounds uncomfortable and not good for diving. Have you tried a Neti pot? Do Neti Pots Really Work?

Not that bad really. Yep Neti pot (does work) and steam inhaler. But we better stop hijacking this thread. lol

Back
Top Bottom