Equalization

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divefun

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,

New to diving (and posting here). Just received my SSI open water certification and thought I'd see what people think of this question:

So my open water certification consisted of 2 pool dives and 4 open water dives. In the first pool dive, I realized that the Valsalva didn't work for me at all. I would cover my nose and blow and...Nothing. No sensation of a pop or anything else in my ears. However, I used Toynbee and Lowry and was able to use this to eventually equalize and get to the bottom of the pool and do my maneuvers. It took me a lot longer to get down there than everyone else, though.

So on the second pool dive I used Afrin and pseudoephedrine and although I could equalize much more quickly with it, Valsalva still did nothing so I was still relying on Toynbee and Lowry. The instructor didn't mind because "whatever works, works.," but he did think it was unusual and said he had never encountered anyone who couldn't Valsalva. So anyway, with Toynbee and Lowry I was able to equalize slowly without meds and quickly with them.

The next week, I did my open water dives. On the first day, even with meds my descent was slower than others and occasionally I would get that squeak that tells me I was probably equalizing too late. Get back to hotel and ear still feels full, but no pain or hearing loss so I dive again the second day, this time doubling the dose of Sudafed to 240mg from 120. Still can't Valsalva, but equalizing is once again relatively effortless and I can descend as fast as the rest of the group this time. Did my maneuvers no problem, and got my certification.

On the open water ones, I told the instructor about my ear issues and he watched me go down, noticed how I was going back up a little bit any time there was pain or whatever. He said I was doing exactly what I should be doing and that he was impressed with how I was handling it and essentially doing exactly what the classes said to do, i.e. take it slow when needed, do whatever works, and so forth.

Anyway, I get back from OW dive day #2 and ear is still full for a couple of days. So I make an appointment with a local ENT. He looks in my ear, says he sees blood, and diagnoses barotrauma. He said it was very mild (which is why no blood actually came out of the ear) and that it would heal no problem on its own. He said he had no problem with me continuing to dive with afrin and Sudafed so long as I didn't use it chronically and risk rebound, and timed it to make sure it didn't wear off underwater (which I already knew to do).

The ENT doc also looked in my nose and said I am "crooked as hell" and that this may be contributing to my difficulty, but he would not recommend any kind of surgery or anything and that I will "just not be that good of a diver." Interestingly, he said that barotraumas as mild as the one he found were of little concern and may happen from time to time if I keep diving, but I can just live with it so no need to return if it happens again.

That's fine with me, as I have no desire whatsoever to become advanced or dive deep or go in caves or anything else. I just want to go down to my 60 feet or whatever and look at fish and reefs, and I absolutely LOVE diving.

My question is this: Should I just content myself with Toynbee/Lowry? It really bothers me that I can't Valsalva like everyone else, but these alternatives mostly work (especially with meds) and maybe I just get the occasional mild barotrauma. Is there anything I could be doing differently? Also, the instructor mentioned docs proplugs and I also found those pro ear 2000 masks online, but looking at DAN and such I can't see why they would really help equalization given that the pressure is in the middle ear and not the outer. Are such technological innovations just a placebo? If so, is there anything that isn't?

Last edited:
Hopefully a proplug user will chime in and tell you all about them.

I would mind mild barotrauma. I would expect it to cause scarring, if repeated enough, and that can't be good for my hearing. "Time to time" is probably OK but you sound like you expect this on about every dive, I don't think that's wise. I would also be wary of diving on meds.

Can you pop your ears topside? Using Lowry or whatever works? Practice may help and you don't have to dive to practice it.

I'm not qualified to make a medical comment, but fyi there's a medical subforum you might want to post this in.

FWIW, I found equalizing to get easier as you go. Not so much from technique practice - rather, seems like the body learns to adapt. Just a thought, by way of encouragement.

I never needed to equialize -- I can pop my ears by just breathing out the nose and moving my jaw, and with mask on I don't even need to move the jaw -- until a couple of months ago when I got the textbook squeeze and squeak and I don't need to see a doctor to tell me I had mild barotrauma in there. So yeah, it gets easier as you go, but it can still sneak up on you when you least expect.

Thanks to all. Dmaziuk: Yes I can pop them topside with those alternative techniques, but Valsalva does nothing topside or underwater. I do practice several times daily to try and sortof exercise it. You're lucky it came so natural to you, I'm jealous! It feels like I have to equalize every foot, and needless to say, all that swallowing that Toynbee and Lowry requires is a hassle, particularly with a regulator in my mouth. But if all there is to do is keep doing it, then it is what it is.

PS: Anyone else out there? Hope someone chimes in about proplugs or the pro ears masks or maybe some other tech I've not heard of. I don't want to buy snakeoil and I don't see why keeping ears dry would have anything to do with equalizing, but I'd love it if I was wrong and there's something that I could buy that would actually help!

I have used the Doc's plugs (with very limited success), not for pressure, only for limiting water coming into the ear. They are kind of a "pick a size that fits you the best" generic plug and I have found that they don't really work all that well. Even with them in I still have to do valsalva to equalize. I cannot speak for the ear masks at all.

Nothing wrong with the alternative equalization methods. When I was in Bonaire a week ago I was having trouble clearing just my right ear with the Valsalva method. Mixed in some of the other techniques and had no further problems. Valsalva isnt the end all. Its just the easiest for people to use/learn. Just remember the hardest equalization is in the first 10m/33 ft, past that it is required less often and is much easier.

You're lucky it came so natural to you, I'm jealous! It feels like I have to equalize every foot

I've been swimming, snorkeling, and breathhold-diving (freediving wasn't a word yet I don't think) since I was a kid, I had a lot of practice. I suppose I equalize all the time too, it's just that I simply breathe out through the nose and that automagically keeps my ears pressurized. (There are downsides to breathing out through the nose, of course; mask fogging and possibly leaking too. Mine usually doesn't, though.)

Reactions: Dan
Does anyone else equalize every 30 seconds or so while reading about equalizing? It is not that I need to equalize while sitting here at my computer, but the suggestion seems pretty powerful.

I've been freediving for quite awhile and I use the frenzel method to equalize. I've heard it is hard to learn as you use your soft palet and tongue. I don't ever remember learning it specifically or anything but I've almost always used it.

On my first open water checkout dive at about 35' I had trouble equalizing with Frenzel (instructor noticed and came to check) so I ascended a few feet tried again with no luck (instructor then signaled to equalize while pinching her nose) I ascended a few feet again and try valsavla method and voilá ears poped. We continued the dive and she regularly checked on me to make sure my ears were okay.

With this incident although not sever I think shows that it is important to learn more than one way to do many things. Sometimes one technique doesn't work and it's useful to know more than one way to skin a cat

Does anyone else equalize every 30 seconds or so while reading about equalizing? It is not that I need to equalize while sitting here at my computer, but the suggestion seems pretty powerful.

I probably equalize 100's of times a day be it at work/home or wherever I am

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom