Equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mortifix

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well I just finished diver training, but I noticed that I was having some issues with equalizing. I was able to equalize, but I think I did something with my right ear. When I got out, it felt like water was in my ear so a couple hours later I put rubbing alcohol in but that didn't really seem to help. Three days later and it still feels a little funny. The night after the diving training I went to the bar and the next morning it felt like I got punched in the upper eye socket. Its been a day and it still hurts when I push on it. Any ideas what this is or if I am not equalizing right?

I would see a doctor. Could be a earwax buildup, or other things that I am mile away from being qualified to say.

I have problems equalizing my ears, and after my 6th or 7th dive (it was in a cold water quarry) it felt like I had water in my ears for the next week or 2. After about a week I went to see an ear, nose, throat doctor (ENT). He told me basically my inner ear doesn't drain quite right or something. He gave me a shot and suggested taking psuedophed and using a nasal spray like Afrin before diving. Also he said if I was going on a big trip I could come in for another shot before that. It is also best to take it slow clearing your ears, if you have pain, ascend a bit, clear, then descend. Trying to clear your ears while they hurt is bad. I just accept the fact it will take me a little longer to get to the bottom, especially in cold water.

My next 10 or so dives have been fine, I just have to remember to go slow and I am ok.

Don't mess with it, see a dr. we can speculate about what it could be here, but very few of us on SB are actually drs( as opposed to playing one on SB). Seriously, get it checked, even if it isn't anything, it is worth getting it checked for peace of mind.

That video is awsome and I had almost forgotten about it. However as of now itll be in my sig :p

This sounds very much like ear and sinus barotrauma, which is sadly common in new divers. If you don't equalize soon enough or often enough, the low pressure in the middle ear causes fluid to seep out of the tissues and fill the airspace. It can take some time for such fluid to reabsorb. The process may possibly be speeded by the use of OTC decongestants and antiinflammatories like ibuprofen, if you have no contraindications to using such medications.

The eye pain is probably the same type of process going on in your frontal sinuses.

It is not unreasonable, if your hearing is normal and you are not having any balance issues, to wait and try OTC remedies for this. If you get out a week or more and the symptoms are not resolved, or if they worsen, you should definitely see a physician and be evaluated.

The video on the diver's ear that has been mentioned is excellent, as is Freediving Explained - How to Freedive Manual: Equalization TechniquesTHIS article on equalization techniques.

Thanks for all the great information. I did take some ibuprofen and it helped a lot. Yeah I think it was just because I wasn't equalizing and tried too late. The pain is definitly going away though. I will probably get checked out before my florida trip in august.

Go get examined by a doctor, and/or call DAN for a free phone consultation and let them tell you to see one. If your Inst had you enrolled in DAN's free insurance for training, then it'll be covered as a dive injury.
That video is awsome and I had almost forgotten about it. However as of now itll be in my sig :p
:sad: You never noticed it in mine...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom