Equipment advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pegger:
Any advise as to buying on-line from sites like Scuba.com or Leasure Pro? For us up north here, the savings seem huge when compared to our local dive shops!

I vote LDS...Yep the onlines will get you things cheaper but they don't get you out on a dive boat...

Howdy and welcome to SB!

Yeah, renting critical life support equipment just doesn't seem good to me. Sorry she has a problem, but glad she made it. If I buy online, it's ScubaToys, but I give my LDS a chance to meet their prices. They usually find a way, and it's best to deal locally if you can reasonably.

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Check with your LDS. Buying stuff like regs and other life support equipment sight unseen online isn't the smartest thing in the world especially if you don't know how to service the equipment yourself or know what to look for as far as any potential problems. While rare, people sometimes even get bad gear over the counter at the LDS and having a local dealer/service center that you can work with may be worth much more than any potential savings up front. Your LDS should be able to help you make good choices on your gear and may even let you try various items before you settle on one particular model. That should be worth a few $$$ plus the ease of mind knowing you can get it serviced locally should it need it. When dealing with life support equipment...lowest cost isn't allways worth it.

Thanks folks,

I priced a Sherwood package out at my LDS at $2300 on sale. The same package on- line is $1633. Thats a big differance considering Sherwood only gives free parts for servcing for two years.
The LDS really got his back up when the internet was even mentioned.
Scuba.com says they give full manufactures warranty. Any one know for sure?

Cheers,

Buying on line is cheaper BUT there are some possible shortcomings.
Buying anything that is supposed to fit you you usually try on first. Wet suits, like booties and masks, vary in size from one manufacturer to another. BCs vary greatly in size and features and comfort. Comfort being the most important. You can only know by trying the items on.
Regulators pose different problems. All regulator manufactures post info on their products. All of those postings say their equipment is the best in the world. This can not be so.
As with any industry,scuba shops vary from the ones that hire the unquaified and yearn for your dollars to the ones that truly care for their customers and try to help them. If you find the second type of shop give them your money. They will take more of it that internet shops but in the end you will be a happier and safer diver.

Pegger:
Thanks folks,

I priced a Sherwood package out at my LDS at $2300 on sale. The same package on- line is $1633. Thats a big differance considering Sherwood only gives free parts for servcing for two years.
The LDS really got his back up when the internet was even mentioned.
Scuba.com says they give full manufactures warranty. Any one know for sure?

Cheers,
Okay, that's different! :light: I give my Lds the opportunity to match the net prices, and he does a good job. If he "got his back up," I'd be looking for a new Lds.

One other advantage to buying from your LDS is that the will setup and test your equipment for you. Most online stores don't do that. My LDS gives me much more in return, free service, free club events. I did by my Akona dive bags online from Leisure Pro, but the big Life support stuff (bcd, regs, computers) should be bought from an LDS IMHO.

Hi Pegger
I see you live in Ontario. Every year near the beginning of April there is a huge equipment swap at the Etobicke Olympium. (sp) in Toronto. There are many dealers selling new as well as used equipment. The draw for me is the used section of the swap. Local divers bring in there old, gently used equipment and put it up for sale. I have purchased regs, BC’s, wet suits, and fins for myself as well as my two kids and have never been disappointed. There’s no haggling as all items are individually priced. You need to arrive early for the best selection. For divers who don’t want or need the latest in dive gear and are looking to save a buck, this swap is the place to be. Good luck with your search.

Scubatoys is awesome!!! Shipped me replacement gear before the recieved the defective equipment. World class customer service (no I don't work for them).

Back
Top Bottom