Equipment checklist before dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I can’t manage to find anymore a thread on SB I found some time ago about the checklist of things to bring to a diving spot. It included things like sun protection or rash guard and all the other things you are supposed to bring to a dive and while traveling, but there’s always something missing when you leave or when you come back...
Do you have a checklist?

Here is another checklist I found from another member while looking through some older threads

The list in the second file attached to the thread you linked was taken from an older thread, as gofigger said in his post, this one
Free scuba checklist, Microsoft Office 2003
I found it by using some words of the attachment as key words in the search. It's the thread I was looking for
Thank you very much

I have always been a checklist kind of guy. It's easy to make your own checklist when you have time to carefully think about it. Then when the opportunity to go diving comes along you don't have to stop and think about it. Just grab your checklist and make sure everything goes into the dive bag and you are good to go.
Diving is one of those things where forgetting just one small thing can spoil your day.
If you get to a dive and wish there was something you had just add it to the list for next time.
After a while you will develop different lists for different conditions. A list for cold days, hot days, boat dives, shore dives.
Lists of lists listing what's listed on different lists! The list goes on.

I have developed a scuba checklist with Items I find useful so I don't forget something. If able will attach as a MS word file that can be downloaded and used/ modified by others. items are below. Question marks seen below in MS Office show as bullets. Looks a lot better in office format. fits on one page.

SCUBA list

Clothes to wear or take
 Swim suit
 Outer clothes weather dependent
 Hat
 Sunglasses
 Cash ,I.D., fish license
 Towel
 Dry bag
 Afrin, scop. Patches
 Dry box, if needed
 Cell phone, beeper

Dive Gear
 Gear bag
 Mask, snorkel, no fog.
 Fins
 BCD
 Tank filled
 Tank tamer
 Regulator with console
 Flashlight(s)
 Knife
 Collection bag/ lift bag
 Save-a-dive kit
 Reel
 Slate

Exposure protection
 Boots, gloves, beanie
 Wet suit , or parts thereof
 Dive skin

Hobby accessories
 U/W camera/ housing/shield
 Video cam/ housing
 Speargun, cooler, stringer
 Scooter/ battery(charged)

Emergency
 Surgical kit
 Charts, map,
 Sunscreen
 Spare air/SMB

Boat accessories
 Dive Flag(s)

Night before
 Batteries charged
 Dry bag with items
 Scop patch if indicated
 Dummy cord-glasses

Inner to Outer packing.
 Fins
 Boots
 Dive skin
 Knife
 gloves
 Beanie
 Wet suit
 Mask/snorkel
 Weightbelt
 BCD
 Tank
 Regulator set
 Collection bag/lift bag
 Flashlight
 Reel

Accessories
 See hobbies at left

Other to do’s
 Gas up car
 Ice for cooler
 New batteries for lights

Before leave house
 HOT WATER for suit
 Snacks, sandwiches, drinks
 WEIGHT BELT TO CAR
 Tell location, ETA and ETR

I would like to quote the original list for me it is very clear and useful

I never had a (written) checklist. All of my stuff was always in a room and ready to go to the car. If the room is empty, I have everything. This of course varied when I did my one week-long dive trip to Panama. Also, I bring extra stuff when we "snowbird" to FL in winter.
Since we just moved, my stuff is not all in one room, so I have to get used to 3 different spots where the needed shore dive stuff is. Still no written list, I just make sure all 3 spots are empty. Then, as before, I re-check that everything is in the car and in it's proper place for donning.

The PADI app has a checklist. It is the only thing I use that app for. It has never failed me. I don't think it would be good for anything other than recreational diving. It's not customizable, which is unfortunate.

Lists are key to avoid forgetting something as equipment intensive as diving.
Have a list and then mentally imagine your dive and what you will take with you UW. Mentally check your grear.
So I do both.

Lists for everything. The pre-trip master list is 5 pages, covering any configuration, camera gear, etc., down to the last o-ring and battery charger. It would be a bummer to get to some island without something vital.

I also have a luggage tag list on my mesh bag just to make sure i dont walk out of the hotel room without my dive computer or booties or something. It's saved me more than once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom