Equipment Choices ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tavi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,I'm a new diver. I've only done my C-dives. I've been doing a lot of research about equipment,On the computer and asking around the local Dive shops. A couple of the shops I have no desire to do business with.Here is what I've come up with.
Seaquest Pro QD
Mares Abyss
Nikos octo
Suunto Cobra
SK-7 Retractable compass
Mares Volo or Quatro Fins
Lirica mask
Has anyone tried both the Volos and the Quatros?
Someone suggested an Atomic Reg, is it worth the extra money? considering I'd have to have it sealed to dive around home.I plan on diving on vacations in the Caribean and near home in upstate NY. Also the Mares dealer has been the best to deal with. The first time we went to check the place out, he stayed three hours after closing talking to us.He offers nice discounts too. He is 50 miles farther away than some other shops, but worth the extra drive time.
Any Advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Tavi

Tavi,

Looks like you've done your homework, your gear list looks great. I only have one suggestion, I would go for a wrist mount compass instead of the dangly retractor, but this is just my opinion.

As for the Quatro Fins, you will be real happy with them and they will give you many years of good service.

Stick with a shop that you are comfortable with, you can get into the group that uses that shop and have loads of fun as well as making many new friends.

Hope this helps

ID

Thanks Don
Do you know if the Avanti boots make a difference like Mares says, or do less expensive boots work just as well?

Tavi, it looks like your gear choices are well thought. You would know best about the requirements of your environment. I for one don't think you need to go and spend too much money on boots. As long as they are adequitely thick, have zippers, and good support. Also remember to take them in with you when you go to pick up your fins, as the boots specific size will make a difference.

Tavi,

Mares Quattros are great fins, especially the buckles.

I agree on the booties -- I bought a pair of cheap rental booties they were trying to dump (not much demand for size 13, I guess) -- they work just fine. The one thing to consider about booties is the environment you'll be diving in. If you will have to climb up and down rocky areas to/from the water, you may opt for sturdier booties to give you at least a little support/traction. This is particularly true if the clambering up/down the rocks has to be done with your equipment on (30-40 lb. tank + weights). If you ae diving exclusively from boats or easy access shore diving -- the durability of your booties is not as big of a concern.

Also -- thunbs up on the SeaQuest Pro QD -- easy to use weight-integration, multiple air dumps allowing effective air vernting from multiple positions and comfortable.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom