Equipment Config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

G-lock

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, gang I have a question. I am currently wrestling with replacing my console/bottom timer with a console computer, however, I am toying with the idea of running the console computer off the right hand side of the 1st so that when ascending I can more easily keep the console in my right hand and the inflator in the left. I don't truly know why the primary is the only thing on the right other than to facilitate reg. recovery. You might also note that I intend to go to the long hose and a bungied backup, so recovery may not be such an issue for me. I have considered a wrist computer but I fear losing it or worse. Thanx in advance. Jeff

Go for the wrist mount - as you've already figured out, you want to be able to easily track depth while using your left hand for the deflator button. Putting a console and hose on the right hand side could create difficulties with deploying the long hose.

If you really don't want the wrist mount, keep the console in it's "regular" position.

I would really recommend trying it on the right wrist. Then it's right there where you can see it without making any special movements. Also it lets you shorten the HP hose and get rid on the big paddle on th end of it. Those changes combined with a correctly routed long primary and bungied second and you'll have a nice clean functional rig.

I originally thought that the wrist was the way to go, but my dive buddy seems to think that wrist devices are too easily lost both underwater and on the boat. I need to consider the pros and cons of both. Can any verify why the primary is the only device on the right side of the 1st?? Jeff

If you're worried about losing a wrist unit, simply replace the strap with loops of bungee cord. There are several good posts in the archives on how to do that, including one on tying secure knots.

There's the huge side benefit of not have to buckle and unbuckle straps on every dive. If you dive with heavy gloves, this is a godsend. Trust me!

G-lock wrote...
Can any verify why the primary is the only device on the right side of the 1st?? Jeff
I'm not sure what you mean. My primary and secondary are both on my right side, and my wing inflator comes off the right post when I dive doubles.

metridium once bubbled...
I'm not sure what you mean. My primary and secondary are both on my right side, and my wing inflator comes off the right post when I dive doubles.

Hmmm...Maybe I'm confused, in what I understand to be a recreational rig setup the primary is off the right hand side of the 1st and the octo is off the left. This assumes you looking at the reg standing behind the tank which is the way it would appear if you were wearing it. I hope that made sense?? Jeff

G-lock wrote...
Hmmm...Maybe I'm confused, in what I understand to be a recreational rig setup the primary is off the right hand side of the 1st and the octo is off the left. This assumes you looking at the reg standing behind the tank which is the way it would appear if you were wearing it. I hope that made sense?? Jeff
In that setup, my primary and secondary came off the right side of the reg, with the drysuit and wing inflators off the left, along with the pressure gauge.

G-lock once bubbled...

Kinda sounds like you are confusing it with a doubles set up where the primary reg is run off the right post and the back=up on the left.

Ok, I'm lost. I'm not sure where doubles entered the picture? Anyway, let's see if I can explain this. When wearing the rig the spg/console is on the left and the octo is on the left, the primary 2nd stage comes over the right shoulder. This is a basic recreational rig, correct? My question is why is the primary 2nd the only device on the right side and why not put the SPG/Console/Computer on that side so that I could ascend with the computer in my right hand and the inflator in my left, which would remove the need to reach across the chest to get the spg/conosle/computer up where I could easily see the ascent rate indicator. Sorry if I'm dense, I just want to see what others think. Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom