Equipment Config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sydney_Diver-
Saw that thread, my question isn't so much wrist v console, as I see pros/cons to both, but can I run the console on the right side of my rig rather than the left, or this too dangerous due to reg. recovery issues. My goal is to get the comp. out in my right hand and up where I can see it, a wrsit mount accomplishes this as well as a console on the right side, but I think the console is much less suspectible to loss, damage or being left behind thatn a wrsit mount. Jeff

U.S. Divers Conshelf regs have both 2nd stages on the right. Have seen a number of different regs set up this way. Can't think of any reason you should be concerned about 2 hoses off that side. However, I recommend a wrist computer; just seems to make more sense to me.
Have you asked your buddy why he thinks there is a lot of lost wrist mounts.

seadog once bubbled...
U.S. Divers Conshelf regs have both 2nd stages on the right. Have seen a number of different regs set up this way. Can't think of any reason you should be concerned about 2 hoses off that side. However, I recommend a wrist computer; just seems to make more sense to me.
Have you asked your buddy why he thinks there is a lot of lost wrist mounts.

Personal experience, lost his bottom timer in a wreck. I'm leaning towards a wrist mount with a bungie as a back up strap. I already have a spg/depth/compass with a intregrated bottom timer, but the BT may need a new battery, my thought is a wrist mount and the BT/Console as a backup. But if the battery is fried and Dacor won't/can't replace it I'll probably go with an AI computer and hence the question about putting it on the right side with the primary reg. Thanx for the reply. Jeff

G-lock wrote...
When wearing the rig the spg/console is on the left and the octo is on the left, the primary 2nd stage comes over the right shoulder. This is a basic recreational rig, correct?
Aside from AIR 2 type inflator/regs, the vast majority of alternate 2nd stages I've seen are on the right.

After a bit of research in magazines, it appears I'm confused. It looks like most folks have both regs on the right and the console and inflator hoses on the left. Anybody know which is correct or if it even makes a difference. Jeff

metridium once bubbled...
Aside from AIR 2 type inflator/regs, the vast majority of alternate 2nd stages I've seen are on the right.

It appears I was confused, the octo should be on the right! SO could you switch the octo and HP hose still be OK? Jeff

I brought up the dubles because I was trying to figure out where you got the idea that the back-up reg comes off of the left side of the valve. I've always seen them on the right with the primary.

So let's say that you did want to run the bac-up off the left side and the console on the right. Would you be running the back-up reg from the left side, across the valve and have to routed to your right side as well? Cuz I think this would cause some stress on the hose to be bent like that. Or were you thinking of having the back-up reg on your left side as well. (I hope you see what I'm trying to ask). Also you mentioned going to a long hose....how are you planning on routing it?Others have brought up the possiblity of the console on the right getting in the way of deploying your long hose.

I vote for both res coming off the right side of the valve and the spg and inflator hose on the left with your computer?BT on your right wrist.

But in the end only you can decide what is best for you and the diving you do. Try some things, and if it doesn't work, change it. Just make sure that any potential dive buddies know how your gear is configured in case they need to know in an emergency.

G-lock wrote...
SO could you switch the octo and HP hose still be OK? Jeff
The hoses aren't interchangeable. The SPG uses a high pressure hose; the second stages use low pressure hoses.

G-lock once bubbled...

Sydney_Diver-
Saw that thread, my question isn't so much wrist v console, as I see pros/cons to both, but can I run the console on the right side of my rig rather than the left, or this too dangerous due to reg. recovery issues. My goal is to get the comp. out in my right hand and up where I can see it, a wrsit mount accomplishes this as well as a console on the right side, but I think the console is much less suspectible to loss, damage or being left behind thatn a wrsit mount. Jeff

GLock
Its your gear you can run the console on any side you want, provided you have a HP port on the right hand sode of your first stage. Just be aware in doing so you are deviating from the norm and you should be absolutely sure your buddy knows how your rig is configured should you have an something go wrong and he needs to see your gauges.

Once you have gone wrist mount you will never go back to a console !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom