Equipment for Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My solo setup:
HP 120 tank (DIN)
30 cuft pony with reg bungeed around neck
spare mask in pocket
monofiliment cutter on D-ring
knife on the back of my Aeris2 console
heavy duty stainless shears in another pocket

I have dove in the 120ft range solo with this setup. I have tanks with left and right posts, so I will probably be making the move to diving doubles next year.

"Attached is a picture of my gear..."

Why is your pony mounted on top of your main cylinder, and not to its side?

A suggestion about mounting a full-size SPG for your pony - use a 24" DIR-length HP hose, which is pretty short and tucks against your body easily when you clip it off. You'll be glad you got one someday!

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

hex92:
My solo setup:
HP 120 tank (DIN)
30 cuft pony with reg bungeed around neck
spare mask in pocket
monofiliment cutter on D-ring
knife on the back of my Aeris2 console
heavy duty stainless shears in another pocket

I have dove in the 120ft range solo with this setup. I have tanks with left and right posts, so I will probably be making the move to diving doubles next year.

two things:
I dive w/3 computers, the Aeris 2 is the most aggressive computer I own. It often clears using straight nitrox mix (usually 29%) within a minute of my Dive Rite Duo (two gass) after switching to 100% @20 ft.

left and right posts: while it is step toward doing doubles, I have seen several times where the left post (which has knob on opposite side of standard single tank valve) valve is turned off, because w/o being on manifold folks forget the knob turns toward diver not away to open.

SeaYoda:
Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Attach pony on right side of your main. (behind right shoulder).

Saw one Ace H---, who mounted it on other side, drained his main tank, grabbed his pony reg which came under his left arm and when he breathed all he got was water. .... cause the reg was upside down!

120HP (DIN)
40cf Sling under right arm
Small knife on left shoulder
EMT sheers on right shoulder
Small light
Whistle
Good head on shoulders :)

My personal Gear for solo is almost a perfect copy of a cave divers gear.Doubles with manifold.2 apex regs, wrist computer,2 or 3 lights and a wreck line or two. I also stage a 19 cf pony that I use as a drop weight at the assent line. In practice , I never plan on useing the pony but it's nice to know it's there and it gives me something to tie my wreck line too.

The reason I use a cave diveing rig is to streamline all my gear to prevent snags .

Did I mention a leg knife, waist shears, and a z knife on my wrist. I feel the need to be prepared for everything that can happen .
DIVE SAFE.

novadiver:
My personal Gear for solo is almost a perfect copy of a cave divers gear.Doubles with manifold.2 apex regs, wrist computer,2 or 3 lights and a wreck line or two. I also stage a 19 cf pony that I use as a drop weight at the assent line. In practice , I never plan on useing the pony but it's nice to know it's there and it gives me something to tie my wreck line too.

The reason I use a cave diveing rig is to streamline all my gear to prevent snags .

Did I mention a leg knife, waist shears, and a z knife on my wrist. I feel the need to be prepared for everything that can happen .
DIVE SAFE.

I like the hogarthian approach to configuration for solo diving due to the improved streamlining and reduced potential for snags. I fully agree with you on that point.

I will normally clip a backup light (for use as a day light) to the shoulder D-ring and secure the head to the strap with surgical tubing. I will also carry a safety reel clipped to the ring on the crotch strap below the back plate (where it is out of the way and not prone to snagging anything) to shoot a lift bag (carried on the bottom of the backplate where it is similarly out of the way) in the event an ascent line is needed.

But I do not see the point of carrying 2 or 3 lights and a couple of wreck reels unless the dive specifically calls for them. Carrying a lot of extra stuff that is not needed defeats the purpose of streamlining in the first place.

Same thing with a 19 cu ft pony left at the ascent line. If it won't be needed why take it in the first place? And if it is potentially needed, it is a bad idea to leave it at the ascent line in open water as you may not be able to get back there on the way up. The fact that a valuable pony and reg are there creates a need to get back there to retrieve them and that could entice you into continuing a dive back to the ascent line in a situation where a direct ascent may be far more prudent. So it is not only something that is of no practical value, but it is also something that could potentially get you dead.

The only purpose I can see for a slung pony with a redundant doubles set up is for use as a deco bottle with a dedicated deco gas. In that case a 30 or 40 cu ft pony would be a far better choice as 19 cu ft is potentially indaequate. And if you may need to use a deco bottle, you would want to keep it with you through the entire dive.

DA Aquamaster:
I like the hogarthian approach to configuration for solo diving due to the improved streamlining and reduced potential for snags. I fully agree with you on that point.

I will normally clip a backup light (for use as a day light) to the shoulder D-ring and secure the head to the strap with surgical tubing. I will also carry a safety reel clipped to the ring on the crotch strap below the back plate (where it is out of the way and not prone to snagging anything) to shoot a lift bag (carried on the bottom of the backplate where it is similarly out of the way) in the event an ascent line is needed.

But I do not see the point of carrying 2 or 3 lights and a couple of wreck reels unless the dive specifically calls for them. Carrying a lot of extra stuff that is not needed defeats the purpose of streamlining in the first place.

Same thing with a 19 cu ft pony left at the ascent line. If it won't be needed why take it in the first place? And if it is potentially needed, it is a bad idea to leave it at the ascent line in open water as you may not be able to get back there on the way up. The fact that a valuable pony and reg are there creates a need to get back there to retrieve them and that could entice you into continuing a dive back to the ascent line in a situation where a direct ascent may be far more prudent. So it is not only something that is of no practical value, but it is also something that could potentially get you dead.

The only purpose I can see for a slung pony with a redundant doubles set up is for use as a deco bottle with a dedicated deco gas. In that case a 30 or 40 cu ft pony would be a far better choice as 19 cu ft is potentially indaequate. And if you may need to use a deco bottle, you would want to keep it with you through the entire dive.

you and I are on the same page, the extra reel is for shooting a lift bag and for doing a lost line drill. the extra lights are 1 primary 2 back up and the third is a small mask light for hands free bug catching.the slug pony is for the second dive of the day to insure proper gas supply . At no time will I put my life in danger to retreave a pony. I'll leave it and return later or loss it , ether way it leaves me an option

In the case of deco gas ,you are right there also, I'll only bring the deco gas but I won't drop it. the slug pony can also be picked up and used by any diver on the wreck who needs it. It's there for safety only , I never plan on useing the pony.

novadiver:
In the case of deco gas ,you are right there also, I'll only bring the deco gas but I won't drop it. the slug pony can also be picked up and used by any diver on the wreck who needs it. It's there for safety only , I never plan on useing the pony.

I will often leave a saftey tank hanging at 20 ft when diving with other divers off my boat. Given that it is suspended form the boat, you can pull it up when you leave without having to worry about retriving it from the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom