Equipment Insurance help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geraldp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not sure where to post this...

I'm looking for equipment insurance for my dive trip to Cozumel coming up next month. DAN's website looks like they have both trip insurance and equipment insurance available. According to the FAQ the equipment insurance does not cover gear that I lose while diving or that gets washed off the boat. In fact it appears that it doesn't include gear that is lost or munged while in my care.

On two separate occasions I've lost stuff while diving: I had a "mishap" earlier this year where my alternate 2nd stage freeflowed. In the ensuing chaos I lost my weight pouches, weights, mask, snorkel, and dive-alert horn. On another occasion I had my camera on a strap around my wrist. I took a picture, let it go, and it disapeared. I never found it. Fortunately it was a cheap ($25) camera. I guess I'm looking for some equipment insurance that would cover those kinds of mishaps.

Thanks,

Jerry

geraldp:
Not sure where to post this...

I'm looking for equipment insurance for my dive trip to Cozumel coming up next month. DAN's website looks like they have both trip insurance and equipment insurance available. According to the FAQ the equipment insurance does not cover gear that I lose while diving or that gets washed off the boat. In fact it appears that it doesn't include gear that is lost or munged while in my care.

On two separate occasions I've lost stuff while diving: I had a "mishap" earlier this year where my alternate 2nd stage freeflowed. In the ensuing chaos I lost my weight pouches, weights, mask, snorkel, and dive-alert horn. On another occasion I had my camera on a strap around my wrist. I took a picture, let it go, and it disapeared. I never found it. Fortunately it was a cheap ($25) camera. I guess I'm looking for some equipment insurance that would cover those kinds of mishaps.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry,

I recently put my underwater photo gear and my cannister light onto a rider off my homeowners insurance. This rider covers any loss, regardless of circumstance.

I ended up paying $122 a year to cover $3600 worth of gear and a $0 deductible. While I did this specifically for photo gear and my cannister light I'm sure that it can be done for your scuba unit and other gear.

For any of you camera u/w camera owners out there who may be reading this. I used to have insurance with DEPP but when the renewal came I began the search for an alternative. Just for reference, my DEPP renewal would have been over $400 this year.

fins:
Jerry,

I recently put my underwater photo gear and my cannister light onto a rider off my homeowners insurance. This rider covers any loss, regardless of circumstance.

I ended up paying $122 a year to cover $3600 worth of gear and a $0 deductible. While I did this specifically for photo gear and my cannister light I'm sure that it can be done for your scuba unit and other gear.

For any of you camera u/w camera owners out there who may be reading this. I used to have insurance with DEPP but when the renewal came I began the search for an alternative. Just for reference, my DEPP renewal would have been over $400 this year.
Thanks Mark: I had called my home-owners insurance just before my last trip and they told me they specifically would not/could not give me a rider for scuba gear. That being said, they would cover my luggage (including any scuba gear) if it's lost or stolen while it's out of my care. I think the max coverage was a 2-3 grand, and it had a few hundred dollar deductible.

Just a follow-up to my previous thread... DAN's equipment coverage WILL cover flooded cameras, just not if I accidentally lose it.

Jerry

Fins,

$122 is only for a rider or for a whole home insurance? My quoted price for the renter's insurance ($30,000 coverage) from State Farm is $190 with $500 deductible. It doesn't cover any flooded and loss item done by my fault.

fins:

would not/could not give me a rider for scuba gear

That sucks, one of the few times I've heard of an insurance company not wanting to take a current customer's money.

I have an All Perils rider which covers all my dive gear and U/W camera equipment. 0 deductible, costs me $54 a year.

Ask your insurance if they will give you an "All Perils" ridr on some specialized equipment, start with your camera stuff, then try to add your other gear. Be vague at first, then be more specific later in the conversation.

DEPP & H2OInsurance (one of them is the DAN provider) also schedules dive gear. One of them requires that you schedule a BCD/Regulator before you can add a camera, but I don't remember which one.

hdtran:
DEPP & H2OInsurance (one of them is the DAN provider) also schedules dive gear. One of them requires that you schedule a BCD/Regulator before you can add a camera, but I don't remember which one.

DEPP requires you schedule BCD/Regulator.

I currently have DAN (H2O) and when it's up for renewal, will be switching to DEPP because of DAN's policy revision to exclude loss coverage when the gear is under my control.

Beyond that provision, biggest differences are DAN pays cash minus deductible (and will cover a housing if the camera is flooded as long as the two are scheduled on the same line), DEPP repairs or replaces the gear. Used to think cash was better, as I could upgrade camera if I wanted, but that exclusion just was too much for me.

-Amber

geraldp:
Thanks Mark: I had called my home-owners insurance just before my last trip and they told me they specifically would not/could not give me a rider for scuba gear. That being said, they would cover my luggage (including any scuba gear) if it's lost or stolen while it's out of my care. I think the max coverage was a 2-3 grand, and it had a few hundred dollar deductible.

Just a follow-up to my previous thread... DAN's equipment coverage WILL cover flooded cameras, just not if I accidentally lose it.

Jerry

Jerry,

For what it's worth I got the same kind of message at first from my agent but after a couple additional calls and a little research by my agent into what was available I was able to get the additional coverage that will take care of "any" loss (flooding, theft, fell off the boat etc and at a $0 deductible. I use Allstate but I know that State Farm offers a similar deal.

hoosier:
Fins,

$122 is only for a rider or for a whole home insurance? My quoted price for the renter's insurance ($30,000 coverage) from State Farm is $190 with $500 deductible. It doesn't cover any flooded and loss item done by my fault.

Hey Hoosier,

I wish my homeowners was only $122 :) The $122 was for my cannister light and camera rig (camera, housing, strobe, lenses, tray, arms, etc) total coverage of $3600 and as with dscheck's coverage I'm protected for any loss (theft, flooding, drop it overboard, damage in the rinse bucket etc.). Last year I had all this with DEPP plus the required (by Depp) scuba unit. The renewal from DEPP this year would have been over $400.

For me I felt the biggest risk to any of my scuba gear would be flooding of the camera or cannister light. As such it made more sense to me to cover the camera gear and cannister light for all circumstances for $122 a year vs. paying $400 a year to cover all my gear with all the DEPP exclusions.

fins:
For what it's worth I got the same kind of message at first from my agent but after a couple additional calls and a little research by my agent into what was available I was able to get the additional coverage that will take care of "any" loss (flooding, theft, fell off the boat etc and at a $0 deductible. I use Allstate but I know that State Farm offers a similar deal.

Would you mind asking your agent specifically what the coverage is called? I just talked to my Allstate agent and they told me they couldn't do a rider for my scuba gear or any kind of sporting goods. They told me it was covered under my homeowner's personal property insurance, but the deductable on that is $4,000. Maybe it varies by state... but maybe if I know what to ask for, I can get what I need :)

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom