equipment...own or rent?

Do you own or rent your scuba equipment?

• Own, spare money = more equipment

Votes: 211 98.6%
  • Rent, who needs to own renting is cheap

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I owned our gear from dive 1 including our first pair of cylinders. Reasearch paid off, everything is a keeper with over 250 combined dives in 16 months. We could start all over tomorrow and we'd still be way ahead of renting. Local rentals are limited so I can guarantee we would not be diving at the same frequency either. Knowing what rental gear goes through I don't know if we'd be diving at all!

Pete

We acquired our stuff during our first year of diving. Bought much of it used at first to save money. I personally have no problem buying used gear - just have it serviced before using it. We figured if we were going to become frequent divers it would save money in the long run. Also, you know your gear fits, works, and is safe. We have also rented while traveling and it works, but I have always wished I was in my own gear.

I think it is better to buy. If you do it over time and keep your gear for a long time, I think it is also cost effective if you dive regularly.

I own most of my gear. No tanks, but I have everything for a routine OW dive. I started snorkeling - so that was what I purchased first. After a few OW dives, I bought the BC, regs, and computer.

I did not do a rent vs buy analysis. I just wanted to dive the same gear on each dive rather having to figure out new gear on each dive. I made the decision when I started the OW course that I would continue courses until I completed everything up to and including rescue. (I'm a glutton. :D ) Having fuss with unfamiliar equipment, BC in particular, would only complicate the skill demonstrations.

I think the years of ocean swimming gave me the confidence to make that investment. I knew I liked reefs. I knew I'd be back to the reefs. And I knew swimming quarries at home would make salty dives all the more enjoyable.

well, I was hesitant about buying my own gear because of the costs involved and so far, with the odd bits of problems that crop up with rentals, I managed to 'live with it'. But What pushed me to make my purchases finally was when I got caught with a throat infection which lasted for a little more than 4 months because of rental regs....

I own all of my gear with the exception of tanks. I think it helps me have a safer dive because the gear is always the same and I know exactly how it works, how it goes together, and exactly where things will be when I need them.

For me, the cost of renting an entire set of gear for all the times i'm going diving isnt really as cost effectine as owning. Plus, renting gear has the inherent flaws of:

1) Getting the correct size.
2) Getting good condition items.
3) Getting things that match (the Frankenstein look just doesnt fit me - not that i'm a fashion bug either).
4) Was someones urinary tract releived in the rental suit I just chose.
5) Is the gear in good working order.

By purchasing my own gear (which I must say is a great initial out of pocket expense), to me has the following advantages:

1) I know exactly what it is I have at all times.
2) I can dive and get comfortable with only one set of diving gear.
3) I can tailor and add any extras I might like - and leave them.
4) I have it available at anytime, anywhere (no rentals on sunday).
5) It has some color coordination about it (not much though).
6) I can always pass it on, resale or trade in on somethng better.
7) I can hang it up and just look at it.

So for me, owning was a much better option than renting.

Mike.

CompuDude:
You know you're a scuba addict when... your next choice of automobile is heavily influenced by how divegear-friendly it will be!
JGCherokee. bought it with work and diving in mind! :D

I always thought of it like this....

How many dives does it take to pay for X if I purchase it vs rent.

That said,
I have owned my own gear since my 3rd OW dive. I even make room for it on vacation trips. I would much rather dive with my gear than the rental gear from a tourist shop. I feel comfortable that way.

How many dives does it take to pay for a $400 (median price) BC?

Rental = $11.00 per day (not by the dive)

Average 2 dives per day (most of us) = 37 diving days.

So, if you are going to dive 37 days it is worth it to buy the BC
====

If you can't afford new... ebay, news paper, this forum... you can purchase used and be comfortable in it.

461 BCs just waiting to be bid on. Many have less than 8 hours left with NO bids on them:

http://sporting-goods.listings.ebay.com/Scuba-Snorkeling_Buoyancy-Compensators_W0QQfromZR4QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ16053QQsocmdZListingItemList

My wife and I decided to buy our own gear and it has meant a lot more diving for us. Our dive shop is on the other side of town and the hassle of driving across town and hoping to find the stuff that fits us, plus having to make another trip to return it all, would probably discourage some of the trips we have made.
Get your own, you will never regret it.

Back
Top Bottom