Equipment Question (noobie)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$1000 for BCD, Regs, and PDC? Easy. DGX has a Dive Rite BPW for $300 including cambands and stuff. Cave Adventurers (and I'm sure other places) have single tank Hog D3/Zenith complete reg sets for $450. Hollis DG03 can be had for $250. Also, Amazon is selling an Oceanic Geo 2.0 for $300 if gas switching and gauge mode aren't concerns. It's easier to use, prettier, smaller, and just as clear. GCullen94, I'm agreeing with you.

OP: BPW is great for spearfishing (imho) because you have the ability to customize your harness to add attachment points for whatever gear you may need. A buddy made an awesome "holster" for his speargun for boat diving, something that wouldn't have been as easy with a jacket-style BCD. D-rings can be added, removed, or changed very easily on a BPW system. They're the most stable in the water.

As far as "nice" vs "cheap" regs: They'll all work. They are kind of like paintball guns, though. Crappy ones will work, but you won't be playing in the pros with them. But, like with everything else, price doesn't correlate to quality. All new regs will work fine, but better regs will breather easier at a range of depths and a range of Intermediate/Tank Pressures.

I did end up getting that flathead 7 lt, it had few scratchs on, so I got it for less than $200, not sure if it was worth it, but some people like them, I'll look at what you guys suggested, also I need an octo and bc line for my fh 7, also the mouth piece on the second it's being hold by a tie wrap, he said just to get another mouth piece, is this accurate or I need a new second? Also the reg is 1.2 year old and he got it serviced 2 months ago

Mouthpieces are supposed to be held on by a zip tie. So you can replace them easily when they wear out or you bite through it when a great white suddenly appears out of no where. And at the same time if that happens you'll likely need to wash and disinfect your wet suit. :wink::D

Now because my second regulator is a bit wear out, can i just get a longer hose and user it as my octo and get a brand new second??? makes sense?

is there a difference between an octo and a second regulator...

wouldn't hurt to get a new mouthpiece if was bought used...simply for sanitary issues.

most scuba rentals will be in good/great shape although might be the entry level model that they carry. scuba unlike paintball requires the shops to make sure they maintain their equipment since failure at depth that can be traced back to faulty maintenance by them could bring criminal charges and/or lawsuits depending on what happens as a result. if it's your gear that failed cause you didn't maintain it it's one thing.. if it's the shop gear and they didn't maintain it....

i would still recommend to wait on buying additional gear until after you are certified... a good portion of the gear floating around out there "seems to be" comprised of gear bought by someone who wanted to go thru OW and then for whatever reason decided that diving wasn't for them. (not saying this is or will be you)
just recommending waitng on additional gear purchase until you really know what you want -- and don't forget black friday & xmas sales coming up!

This is why we said to buy new stuff, I have 3 red flags going off in my head right now..

1. He let that go cheep. Why'd he let it go that cheep?
2. All mouthpieces are held on by tie wraps, FYI. That is one of those things you should know when buying gear, What is standard and what is not.
3. You're trusting him when he said he got it serviced. People selling scuba gear can be like used car salesman, never trust them.

Take it to your LDS and have it looked at. Last thing you want is to get in the water with it and have it fail on you just because you tried to save a couple bucks. You do know that that regulator is not sealed for cold water use right? What you paid for that is similar to the price of a HOG D1 first and second stage

Jim Lapenta Can hook you up with a HOG 2nd stage to become your primary 2nd. I have not dealt with him personally but know people who have and he will take care of you.

i would still recommend to wait on buying additional gear until after you are certified... a good portion of the gear floating around out there "seems to be" comprised of gear bought by someone who wanted to go thru OW and then for whatever reason decided that diving wasn't for them.
This is very true. There is a boatload of great used gear out there for pennies on the dollar. The deal is you have to know what you're looking at.
Recently I've went to a few garage sales and at one I found a few boxes of dive gear, everything from reg sets to lights, masks, fins, and a bunch of odds and ends. They wanted $20 for everything. I didn't buy it because I already have too much junk. But I kick myself now because it was so cheap and I could have fixed it up and given it to friends to use.

You guys live in places that I need to at least visit. All we get in garage sales around here is junk. How about a genuine antique toaster from the civil war with a new cord and plug? Only $25.00!

Back
Top Bottom