equivalent measures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivemasterDennis

DivemasterDennis
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to be sure I have these measurement equivalents correct, because as I read UK blogs and web sites and posts here, I want to get the conversion right. I believe that 100 psi equates to about 6.9 bar, so 3000 psi would be just under 207 bar. Can someone confirm, please?
Also, I calculate one cubic foot to be equal to 28.3 liters of gas, so that an 80 cu. ft. tank would have a capacity equal to 2,264 liters. That does not seem right, but it may be. So, please confirm or correct, someone out there who knows these things. Thanks.
DivemasterDennis

I couldn't find a reference to bar in the english-metric conversion page of the open water diver manual.

But 1 cubic foot = 28.32 liters.
80 cf = 2265.6 liters

Although it did not reference bar...

This site does the job... PSI BAR Converter

3000psi are 207bar
80cf are 2265 liters

Thus the bottle has a size of approx. 2265/207=11liters

If you want to get along without a calculator and are happy with reasonable estimates, think of a bar as equaling 15 PSI. Converting bars to PSI is then about as difficult as figuring the tip for a waitress--to do it in your head, multiply by 10 and add a half. Going the other way (dividing by 15) is a little harder.

Since this is the Basic SCUBA Discussions Forum,

One thing to keep in mind is that when discussing equivalents, 80 Cu FT tanks are referred to as 12 Liter tanks. This is because we measure the amount of liquid that a tank/cylinder holds.
So an empty 80 Cu FT Tank/Cylinder holds 12L's of water.
100 Cu Ft Tank holds approx 15L's and a 63 Cu Ft Tank holds approx 9L's and is referred to as a 9 Liter Tank.

Cheers,
Roger

A

There's an app for that.

:rofl3:

Easy conversion from someo e who currently lives in the UK, but whose spg is in psi: 750 psi is approximately 50 bar. Makes calculations on the fly dead easy

I borrowed a tire gauge at an auto supply store the other day: digital gauge set on bars. :eek:

The world really wants the US to join.

Since this is the Basic SCUBA Discussions Forum,

So an empty 80 Cu FT Tank/Cylinder holds 12L's of water.
100 Cu Ft Tank holds approx 15L's and a 63 Cu Ft Tank holds approx 9L's and is referred to as a 9 Liter Tank.

FYI - Data based on Luxfer cylinders.

AL63 holds 9liters, you are correct here. However....

AL80 (S080) holds 11.1 liters (678 in³)
AL100 (S100) holds 13.2 liters (804 in³)

Using you internal volumes to calc gas at 207bar (3000psi) you will short your self with 6cft on AL80 & 13cft on AL100. In my world that's a lot of gas.

FYI - Data based on Luxfer cylinders.

AL63 holds 9liters, you are correct here. However....

AL80 (S080) holds 11.1 liters (678 in³)
AL100 (S100) holds 13.2 liters (804 in³)

Using you internal volumes to calc gas at 207bar (3000psi) you will short your self with 6cft on AL80 & 13cft on AL100. In my world that's a lot of gas.
You are absolutely correct, That is what I get for posting at 7:15 in the morning on my way out the door to go diving :(..

My original intent was to convey that the common name for tanks outside of the US or other Imperial based systems was based on the amount of fluid that the cylinder held and not the amount of air that it held when pressurized.

Cheers,
Roger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom