Estate sale find - Need some assistance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k9medic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
<---- New to the board, but have been diving since the early 90's.

Today I came across 2 older Dacor BC's, an old Scubapro BC and one other at an estate sale. I picked them up along with a couple of dive bags, some misc. scuba items, a Fallan (sp) depth gauge and a first stage.

I spent a grand total of $30.00 for the lot, and I'm now trying to figure out what I have. I stopped by the local shop and asked a guy to look through them.

All 3 BC's leak down. The Dacor's have replaceable bladders from what I understand.

I'm looking to fix up at least 1 of the BC's and to complete the first stage into a full setup. I've done some searching and found that I can use seamseal or some other form of RTV sealant to patch them, but I wonder if I would just be better off tracking down a new bladder.

FWIW, I do not really dive much anymore, so I don't want to spend a fortune getting these things going.

Any market for these on a resale?

Thanks for the info.

You might consider uploading some pics to the SB gallery so people can look and get a better idea of exactly what you got.

First, if they are jacket style BCs you are in the wrong place. Anything jacket is not considered vintage, just old and you probably won't get much info.

The Dacor items are pretty much useless unless they are working, parts are almost non existent. Small holes in the bladders can be fixed with Aquaseal. Before giving up on the BCs, find out were they are leaking. There is a good chance it's just an overpressure valve or LP inflator leaking, in which case those are usually easy to fix. Also look for a CO2 cartridge holder- it may be hidden in a pocket or behind a flap, a lot of the older BCs had them. If it is removed and the hole not plugged it will leak, that is a simple fix, just use a 3/8 reg plug. The value of the first stage really depends on what it is, some are worth a good bit and others pretty much nothing ($5 or so). The BCs are not worth much either. Posting a photo of the reg is the best way for us to give you some idea of what it's worth. What the Captain is saying is anything later than the early 70's (which this stuff is most likely 80s) is not considered vintage.

Roger. Thanks. I'm figuring this stuff is from the late 70's or early 80's.
I've got a few more posts before I'm allowed to put up pictures.

Here we go:

IMG_00901.jpg

IMG_00891.jpg

IMG_00921.jpg

The seams on those old SP BC's will almost always leak and can fail,

Back
Top Bottom