Estate sale find - Need some assistance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The gauge is in the $10 range on ebay. The BCs might be salvagebable. Inflate them and submerge in water to find out where they are leaking, inflators and dump valves commonly leak but are easy to repair. If they have internal bladders you can get to, then odds are you can Aquaseal them if they have pin holes. I see a couple of knobs that appear to be CO2 actuators, if the cartriges are missing, air will leak from them. They are easy to plug with a standard 3/8 reg plug......or a new cartrige if you prefer.

One is a first generation Scubapro stablizing jacket. They don't have a bladder but tend to develope leaks in the fold lines. They put the dump valve too low on the front, the later one had it on top of the shoulder. They were and still are, in my opinion, one of the best jacket BC's. They came in different sizes. The Dacor I I am not familiar with.

Thanks guys.

I figured for $30.00 i couldn't go wrong. I'm going to track down some aquaseal today to see what I can do. All 3 of them have the CO2 cartridges installed, so, as you mentioned its probably in the seam.

When a BCD starts leaking because of age, it probably will not last long. You could well spend more than $30 in wasted aquaseal. But I see a metal SP buckle and hopefully a usable SP tank strap. Similar bits, including inflators, harvested off the Dacor BCDs should make the find worthwhile. The 1st stage could be a keeper or a paperweight depending on brand and model.

Well I found the leaks on both Dacor BCs today. Evidently there is a small valve at the bottom of the bladder for what looks like draining water. On both BCs these had separated from the bladder.

I had a tube of 3M 5200 in the garage, so I used it to seal the leaking valves. So far it appears to be working. I'll check it in another 24 hours after the 5200 has cured.

I'm out of luck on the scubapro BC though. Going to part that one out.

Thanks for the help!:D

Neat finds. I picked up an old Dacor at a thriftshop. One guy told me it was a snorkeling vest, another told me it was a horsecollar BC. Ill post some pics of it once I have enough posts. I also have an old rectangle glass mask we picked up. I was told it was an old Navy seal style mask. I love finding old vintage stuff.

Back
Top Bottom