Etymology of terms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
Perhaps an email to George would get you his personal view on how the term came into being.

Be sure to include this in your email and you will get a much more interesting response to share with your students:

"any disparaging term used in conjunction with a human being is a form of de-humanization, a psychological mechanism human beings use to justify less than nice behavior towards another."

:eyebrow:
After reading the link you sent me I have all of the information I need, but in the spirit of scientific enquiry if you have an address for him I will ask. Thank you

Personally I am rather offended by the term stroke when it is applied to anyone that is not certified through GUE or DIR".

In the context of George Irvines original context, it is not so offensive, even in the light of his less than diplomatic writing style.

The kool aid one was a new one on me, thanks for the explanation Uncle Pug.

To the Most Ancient and Honourable Uncle Pug:

The more I read of your remarks, sir, the more you amaze me!

I mean that in the most salutary and honorary way. I am glad to know you, if even in this most peripheral way.

Cheers! :D

UP I have to agree with BJD69 you always seem to be able to say alot by saying very little-hats off-If you are going to be at DEMA I'd like to shake your hand-M

Uncle Pug:
Perhaps an email to George would get you his personal view on how the term came into being.

Be sure to include this in your email and you will get a much more interesting response to share with your students:

"any disparaging term used in conjunction with a human being is a form of de-humanization, a psychological mechanism human beings use to justify less than nice behavior towards another."
adurso:
After reading the link you sent me I have all of the information I need, but in the spirit of scientific enquiry if you have an address for him I will ask. Thank you

Well, as long as we're now discussing the UP, anytime you get a suggestion from him, followed by :eyebrow: , or :wink: , I wouldn't run right out and do it.

However, if you DO send that email to KG, please post his reply for us all to enjoy. :eyebrow:

Rick Inman:
Well, as long as we're now discussing the UP, anytime you get a suggestion from him, followed by :eyebrow: , or :wink: , I wouldn't run right out and do it.

However, if you DO send that email to KG, please post his reply for us all to enjoy. :eyebrow:
If someone gives me an email address I have no problem asking.

Uncle Pug:

<snicker>

Georgeous George's response would be interesting, all right...

But I doubt you could post it here... :11:

Rick Inman:

That didn't work too well at Decostop.

<cough>

BigJetDriver69:
To the Most Ancient and Honourable Uncle Pug:

The more I read of your remarks, sir, the more you amaze me!

I mean that in the most salutary and honorary way. I am glad to know you, if even in this most peripheral way.

Cheers! :D

He's not so Ancient... Honourable and wise yes.

Uncle Pug:

I did indeed send an e mail to the address I was given for George, with the included information last week but have as yet to recieve a response..

Back
Top Bottom