Etymology of terms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adurso:
Thank you. Where may I find these explanations, as I used the search function and found hosts of threads using the term, but no explanation.

Just like with any language and culture, you'll find people using terms and sayings where the users likely have no knowledge of where they came from. The "Kool Aid" references are from an incident that occurred about 25 years ago, and has had little mention in recent years, and I suspect a lot of people use it without, as Uncle Pug said, knowing the horrifying details behind it. I was still in school when it happened, and the news was dominated for days afterward about it. You couldn't look at a newspaper or watch the TV news without seeing images of LAYERS of bodies piled atop each other.

Another one I see here a lot is "Your Mileage May Vary" or YMMV, to indicate that while this is the poster's experience, someone else's might be different. I wonder just how many people, particularly under the age of 30 and/or not from the US, knows the origin of that saying?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom