Evaluating LDSs for AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nudgeroni

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking to take an AOW course this summer. I liked the LDS where I was certified, and particularly liked my instructor, but figure it can't hurt to shop around a bit.

One thread on this site indicates that the '5 Star' PADI rating is not a significant indicator of shop quality, so I don't think I'll include that in my decision. Is there a way to check if a particular shop has a verified 'Quality Assurance' violation or an open QA inquiry? Should I just concern myself with the quality of the instructor?

I would just go with diver recomendations, but most folks have only gone to one place, and can't help me compare shops.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have read several posts on this board reporting bad AOW experiences, and want to do whatever I can to get the most out of my time (and $$).

-Nudgeroni

First thing...Ask them what depth the deep dive is done at. If they say 61-70ft, I'd personally walk away.

For me, it seems like importance of the AOW course is to keep you diving, and so what you do inside the course is much less important than finding dive friends, connecting with other divers, etc. (although you learn some very important things too) I'd say, go with the dive op you feel most comfortable going to, be it location or people. AOW usually creates a sort of group mentality, and seems to me that many people who take AOW together, continue to stick together. I know many students who even go diving together outside of class.

So, it's not just about instructor quality and lds qualifications, but also about the overal experience. Find the LDS that makes you feel most at home, and it'll do you more good than just a good AOW course.

Also, remember to look beyond the AOW class. Does the LDS offer speciality courses you'd be interested in? Do you get student discount? Things like that are some of the details of finding a LDS that suites you.

Without comment on the second post, I'd say if you're happy with the shop and most importantly the instructor you worked with before, you've already done the research in a way. Why not go back where you pretty much know that you're gonna be happy with what you get for your buck?

Otherwise I know of two really good LDS's in your neck of the woods ... PM if you'd like that info.

I agree with Keyscapt, it sounds like the shop and instructor you have been working with have met your expectations, inspired you to move ahead with your education, and are familliar with you as a student and customer. You are correct that there is no harm in looking around, but it sounds like you may have allready found what you are looking for. If you are not sure about the quality of their AOW course, I bet they would encourage you to ask, and give them the chance to address that concern.

Good luck in your search,

Derek S:
First thing...Ask them what depth the deep dive is done at. If they say 61-70ft, I'd personally walk away.

????

I doubt that's the first question I'd suggest to ask :10:

Is 73ft a good answer? :)

kensuguro:
For me, it seems like importance of the AOW course is to keep you diving, and so what you do inside the course is much less important than finding dive friends, connecting with other divers, etc. (although you learn some very important things too) I'd say, go with the dive op you feel most comfortable going to, be it location or people. AOW usually creates a sort of group mentality, and seems to me that many people who take AOW together, continue to stick together. I know many students who even go diving together outside of class.

So, it's not just about instructor quality and lds qualifications, but also about the overal experience. Find the LDS that makes you feel most at home, and it'll do you more good than just a good AOW course.

Also, remember to look beyond the AOW class. Does the LDS offer speciality courses you'd be interested in? Do you get student discount? Things like that are some of the details of finding a LDS that suites you.
That may define AOW for some instructors (those who view the class as "easy money") ... but to my concern, the importance of ANY scuba class is to learn additional skills and knowledge. You can find dive buddies much less expensively by joining a diving club or a regional Internet forum.

My advice to any student considering AOW is to ask the following questions ...

- What is the purpose of the AOW class?

If it comes across in any way like the expectation is to deliver five additional dives with an instructor, consider whether or not five guided dives is worth the price you're paying for the class. My guess is that it probably isn't.

- What additional skills will I be learning in this class?

Some answers to look for here are (a) to become a better dive buddy, (b) to improve your buoyancy skills, (c) to learn how to plan your dives better, (d) to improve your underwater navigational skills ... and extra credit if they even mention anything about helping you understand your consumption rate and how that applies to managing your air supply. These are core skills ... an AOW class that doesn't help you improve them isn't worth taking.

- Is there any academic work involved in the class?

If the answer is no ... then the class most likely won't provide you with anything of value for your time and money.

Classes shouldn't just be a forum for selling more classes. Sure, there's the whole experience thing. But if the instructor ... or the shop staff selling you the class ... can't describe for you exactly what additional skills and knowledge you can expect to take away from it, then chances are you'll walk away from the class feeling like you didn't learn anything ... and that sort of class is a waste of time. You'd get more out of just finding a dive buddy and going out diving on your own.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
That may define AOW for some instructors (those who view the class as "easy money") ... but to my concern, the importance of ANY scuba class is to learn additional skills and knowledge. You can find dive buddies much less expensively by joining a diving club or a regional Internet forum.

My advice to any student considering AOW is to ask the following questions ...

- What is the purpose of the AOW class?

<snip>

- What additional skills will I be learning in this class?

<snip>

- Is there any academic work involved in the class?

<snip>

Classes shouldn't just be a forum for selling more classes. Sure, there's the whole experience thing. But if the instructor ... or the shop staff selling you the class ... can't describe for you exactly what additional skills and knowledge you can expect to take away from it, then chances are you'll walk away from the class feeling like you didn't learn anything ... and that sort of class is a waste of time. You'd get more out of just finding a dive buddy and going out diving on your own.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Now that sounds like the voice of experience....

Derek S:
I think that is a good depth for AOW. Most AOW students have very little experience, and don't need to be going deeper than that.

Refer back to post #7 by NWGratefulDiver.

Back
Top Bottom