Evaluating weight options. Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeckyll

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm in the process of purchasing my weights at the moment (it's the last piece of equipment that I still rent right now). I've come up with 2 options but am not certain which I am going to go with yet.

I dive a Hacyon Pioneer with a SS backplate (-6) and will evetually want to take DIR-F, though from searching the DIR forum, it seems that weighting is somewhat flexible for the DIR folks.

As I dive in cold water, I need to carry 33 - 36 lbs depending on the thickness of undergarments (I'm 6'1, 195 lbs)

My options are:

1: Purchase a P-weight (-7), 2 tank band pouches with 5 lbs each and a 12 lbs belt. This would make the Pioneer harder to handle (I live in an appartment and need to rinse gear in the bathtub in the winter ... so it's a consideration).

2: Purchase a weight harness system (I've seen some from DUI and others) which would allow me to keep the weight off my BP/W but would add an extra "strap layer". I've seen some systems that looks nice and can utilize standard weights.

I keep going back and forth between the 2 setups as they both have their benefits. I'm looking for some feedback to see if something will push me in one direction or the other. Pricing between them isn't that different, though option 2 will be slightly more money.

Thanks in advance.

Bjorn

How are you handling your weight, now?

Your option 1 shouldn't make handling your pioneer any more difficult. The P-weight comes off... the weights in the cam band pockets would come out. Right?

Have you thought about...

... a steel cylinder?

... a heavier backplate?

I don't know about the DUI weight harness. It doesn't see to me that this option would be a good one... not with a BP/wing setup, anyways.

You mentioned that you are thinking about DIR. I don't know if the DUI harness would pass the test. It might... I've just never seen it mentioned as a DIR solution.

... oh shoot, I forgot to mention my favorite... how 'bout a heavy STA?

jeckyll:
As I dive in cold water, I need to carry 33 - 36 lbs depending on the thickness of undergarments (I'm 6'1, 195 lbs)
Undergarments? You're needing 33 lbs of lead with a drysuit on? I only need that much when I'm wearing two layers of 7mm neoprene.

Rather than trying to figure out where to put all my weight, I'd be trying to figure out why I need so much. I'm a large guy, and when I dive dry with a 6lb backplate in cold sea water, I carry 12 lbs of lead... all on a belt. Of course, I only keep enough gas in my drysuit to eliminate squeeze. Do you use your drysuit for bouyancy control, or your BC?

Stephen: Thanks for the (many :wink: ) replies.

I meant that the Pioneer would be harder to handle out of the water when rinsing it off etc (ever try rinsing gear in a small 1 bedroom appartment washroom? You almost need to be a contortionist).

As I dive with a Pioneer I don't need or use a STA. I use AL80's (which I own, I should have provided that info :) ).

MSilvia: Bare nexgen with 200 wt fleece and an extra layer of fleece underneath in salt water. If I use any less than 33 lbs I don't go down and I'm not finning, let out all my breath and have all possible air out of the suit. :) And at the end of the dive I can hold steady in 10 feet of water, but the suit & wing will be completely empty.

Bjorn

jeckyll:
I meant that the Pioneer would be harder to handle out of the water when rinsing it off etc (ever try rinsing gear in a small 1 bedroom appartment washroom? You almost need to be a contortionist).

Gotcha. But I still don't get it, sorry. I take all of my weight out of the cam band pockets, then I string 'em up on my weight belt for transport. Then I take my rig apart and rinse it, pack it, and head home. Once home, I toss my wing into the tub. The plate stays in the garage or closet or... where ever.

jeckyll:
As I dive with a Pioneer I don't need or use a STA. I use AL80's (which I own, I should have provided that info :) ).

Hmm... maybe you do need an STA... to help with weight distribution. :D The pioneers work great with them... although it is POSSIBLE that you might have to take the rods out if you get a really wide STA. The normal STAs work fine without any mods to the wing.

jeckyll:

That's believable.... though there MIGHT be some ways to lower your requirement.

I need almost 30# in my DS with an AL80, but I'm sure that it is a result of a UG that is notorious for being very 'floaty' and the fact that my drysuit probably traps some air in some places that are hard to reach... so to speak.

I found a couple of things that helped, however. I pre-dunk to get as much air out of my suit as possible and sometimes I have to loosen my weight belt a little to keep from trapping some air below it and I make a conscious effort to rid my suit of any air that gets trapped behind/above my shoulders.

OK I want to know how you get down to 12# of weight diving dry. I tried 26# on my last dive and could not hold 15 feet and I spent quite a bit of time trying, making sure there was NO trapped air in the suit or the wing. This is with an Oxyquest SS BP/W, a White's dry suit and a rented AL80 (don't have room for tanks - sold the compressor). Thinking about losing 1 layer of undergarments, but am at the edge of cool at the end of the dive so doubt that this is a serious option but going to give it a try. A steel tank would lower it a bit, but losing 16# seems unrealistic.

I am just slightly negative in a bathing suit so am having a bit of trouble with just 12# offsetting the boyancy in an AL80 tank and residual air in a drysuit. Must be missing something? Is your drysuit painted on perhaps:D

You have seen my weights Jeckyll so you know what I use, the only drawback as I see it is the potential for snagging the quick release. Probably would not be DIR for that reason. I like the weight carried on my shoulders (when out of the water) not my hips and the potential for adjustment for trim. The actual harness I think works well, just wish the quick release system was better.

Back
Top Bottom