Ever find yourself babysitting now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a dive trip you don't even really want to give the appearance of being professionally responsible for the group. You are not there working in a professional capacity and don't want anyone to think that you are. Focus on what you like to see and let the people that are getting paid take care of the group.

I would like to add to this input...

Once you start taking on the responsibilities of a DM/Instructor/etc., you WILL begin to incur risk of being held to a higher standard of care, whether you're getting paid for it or whether you intend to.

Several of my students have been lawyers, and more than one has researched this. By being a dive professional, you start in a new category. When you assist, you further your duty of care. Will any lawsuit win? You'd have to look at local laws and legal precedent. But who wants to entice the possibility?

Myself, I just show an AOW or Master Diver card on vacation. As far as the rest of the group knows, I just have a lot of dives.

But then again, if a lawyer goes after my money, he'd just be practicing anyway:rofl3:

Dive Solo. Unless the op insists on me buddying up with someone if it's a site I'm comfortable with I try to dive alone. And if they do insist it needs to be with someone who is a capable diver unless they or him/her wants to pay me to babysit them. The camera thing is good as well. In the keys last May a guy out of the blue walks up and says just as we are going in for the second dive,"I don't have a buddy. I'm diving with you!" Really? Well guess what after him hanging around for five minutes or so while I was trying to get just the right shot on a stonefish he got tired and went off and joined another pair. I got to do the rest of my dive in peace. I do however have a habit of being the last one out of the water in order to make sure everyone else gets out ok. Usually there is nothing happening. Once though I caught a dropped fin, another time I was able to advise a newbie that hanging onto the ladder while taking your fins off is not as desirable as using the tag line. And in Monterrey in July I was waiting for my insta buddy( who was very good even though he had less than 25 dives at that point) to get out when I heard help, then heard the captain yell drop your weights, and the DM go in. Instinctively I turned and met him about halfway towing an overexerted, slightly paniced diver. As we brought him in I assisted with removal of his gear, and helped get him back on the boat. My first dive in the Pacific was also my first ocean rescue assist. Did not mean for it to happen but as I said instinct kicked in. I almost never try to dive with a group unless I know them very well and what they will most likely do and don't need watched. Last dive I did outside of assisting was a tech dive in Erie with a group of other techies. That I enjoyed because I knew that nobody was going to need some assistance unless the crap really hit the fan and there were 15 other divers just as or more capable than myself to assist. Going to Bonaire in feb with the shop. Out of 15 people going so far at least 6 of us also dive tech. We have a couple people doing their ow checkouts as well but with an Instructor, two AI's by that time, and at least three DM's we should have it covered. I'll probably be asked to watch one of the other of tham at some point but not one of us save for perhaps the instructor is going to be solely responsible for them the whole time. And after they do their checkouts they are certified divers and have a degree of responsibility for themselves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom