ever took a non diver to a shallow dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.:
If you don't mind me asking, What would you have done over and above what I did?

Gary, you know Ana, She wouldn't have done a thing different. She is always getting on me for interfering with Darwin.

Zieg:
Gary, you know Ana, She wouldn't have done a thing different. She is always getting on me for interfering with Darwin.
Hi Stranger. She may have helped Darwin with Mr. Cocky in this incident. There are just way to many "P-A-D-I Teachers" conserving gear out there. :D Why use two sets when one will work. Stacking a few "T" blocks he could get 6 or more down at a time not to mention how many with 7' hoses. :D Two on one set cuts the cost in half. :wink:

Gary D.

razorseal:
Have you taken a friend of yours to a shallow dive without a OW before? I'm talking about like 20-30 feet or so.

and after showing her the ropes on the pool...

just curious

I would think with over 373,000 bicycle related injuries in 2006 and also in 2006, the sport of bowling seen an increase in injuries by 100%, that we all should seek "profesional" instructions in all that we do. By doing this, we all can rest better at night knowing that we all will be safer. Come to think of it, I think I wont go water skiing this weekend either, since I dont have my c-card for water skiing.

Its all way to dangerous for me anyways without the certified instructions.

If you bowl improperly, nobody dies.

Terry

northen diver:
I would think with over 373,000 bicycle related injuries in 2006 and also in 2006, the sport of bowling seen an increase in injuries by 100%, that we all should seek "profesional" instructions in all that we do.

Web Monkey:
If you bowl improperly, nobody dies.

Terry

Industry critics charge that the industry response has not gone far enough. A spokesman for the Citizen’s Ad Hoc Committee for Bowling Safety (CAHCBS) refuted Karlin’s contentions. “The bowling industry has swept this under the rug for long enough because they don’t want to spend the money to make the lanes safe” said Terry Withers, brother of last year’s victim Chris Withers. “It’s time that the industry step up to the plate with motion-controlled power cutoffs in the pin setting machines, with hand guards on the ball returns, and bowling shoes with anti-bacterial linings. If they are unwilling to do so, we will have to take this to our state and federal legislators and impose a legislative solution, and nobody really wants that.” Mr. Withers said that according to CAHCBS calculations, if deaths continue to double every year, in 12 years, deaths due to bowling and bowling equipment will outnumber deaths on our nation’s highways. “It may not seem like much, but at the current rate, we’re on pace for eight deaths this year, 16 next year, 32 the year after that and 32,768 deaths twelve years from now. That should worry every parent, every consumer, every bowler” Withers said

3 deaths from hand caught in ball returns and 6 deaths from slips and falls..............

northen diver:
I would think with over 373,000 bicycle related injuries in 2006 and also in 2006, the sport of bowling seen an increase in injuries by 100%, that we all should seek "profesional" instructions in all that we do. By doing this, we all can rest better at night knowing that we all will be safer. Come to think of it, I think I wont go water skiing this weekend either, since I dont have my c-card for water skiing.

Its all way to dangerous for me anyways without the certified instructions.
Well, the first part of water sking is using a boat... wait, you may need a licence for that....the second part is the sking thing... if you take someone water sking, and they drown... do you have any personal responsibility for having taken them out... showed them how to ski and pulled them around... if you don't, then would not worry about it.. If you do, you should.

The problem with taking someone out, is that very small chance that something goes wrong...are you prepared to face the outcome of that... If you are comfortable with having your life destroyed... heck... go for it.

Puffer Fish:
Well, the first part of water sking is using a boat... wait, you may need a licence for that....the second part is the sking thing... if you take someone water sking, and they drown... do you have any personal responsibility for having taken them out... showed them how to ski and pulled them around... if you don't, then would not worry about it.. If you do, you should.

The problem with taking someone out, is that very small chance that something goes wrong...are you prepared to face the outcome of that... If you are comfortable with having your life destroyed... heck... go for it.

So, I take someone out water skiing and they drown, am I to be held responsiable?. I followed all of the proper rules. Wasnt speeding, wasnt drinking etc etc....Its a sport that has risks. As most if not all sports do. If you are afraid of death in participating in these sports, dont partake in them. Seeking qualified instructions can limit some of your exposure of injuries or death, but can still happen. Hence the hold harmless that we all sign when we hire a guides or let our kids play sports in schools.

I shouldnt take someone bike riding with me either? Because, if they fall and die, I could be held accountable?

This is the problem with this country. Everything has to be regulated, controlled and sanctioned. And if you dont have imbeccable credtionals as stating that you are an "expert" in your "sport" , you WILL be criminally charged and if that fails, then a civil suit against ya.

ac·ci·dent
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/
–noun 1.an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents. 2.Law. such a happening resulting in injury that is in no way the fault of the injured person for which compensation or indemnity is legally sought. 3.any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or cause. 4.chance; fortune; luck: I was there by accident. 5.a fortuitous circumstance, quality, or characteristic: an accident of birth. 6.Philosophy. any entity or event contingent upon the existence of something else. 7.Geology. a surface irregularity, usually on a small scale, the reason for which is not apparent.

made my friend sign a liability waiver on a napkin on the shore before beginning a dive to 10'...he thought I was crazy....:dork2:

I would let my girlfriend take a few breaths on the surface, or a couple feet down in a pool, but that's about it.

FFMDiver:
made my friend sign a liability waiver on a napkin on the shore before beginning a dive to 10'...he thought I was crazy....:dork2:

That is why I said a guide. If someone is taking payment for services rendered, then you better be "certified", insured and have a hold harmless in place.

Unfortunatly, whenever I take a group backpacking, rockclimbing or whitewater, each persons has to sign a hold harmless. I even do the hold harmless when I take my sons Boy Scout troop out SCUBA diving, backpacking, rockclimbing and whitewater, even though I dont charge them a fee. If not, my insurance company will not cover me. From what my insurance company tells me, the hold harmless (if done correctly) are pretty much iron clad.

Back
Top Bottom