Everything cost the same, whats better for open water cert, florida diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stay away from the mk20, they had a recall people I know have had failures.

It's unusual to find a MK20 that has not had the yoke retainer replaced under the recall, but if you buy one and it still has the original yoke retainer, any SP dealer will replace it for free.

It's important to note that the problem with the original yoke retainers was 99% a problem with poorly trained techs who severely overtorqued them during service, putting stress on the body.

It's unusual to find a MK20 that has not had the yoke retainer replaced under the recall, but if you buy one and it still has the original yoke retainer, any SP dealer will replace it for free.

It's important to note that the problem with the original yoke retainers was 99% a problem with poorly trained techs who severely overtorqued them during service, putting stress on the body.

FWIW every MK20 I've ever seen for sale over here, and I've seen a lot, has still had the old retainer, I've never seen one that has been changed. Wonder why?

FWIW every MK20 I've ever seen for sale over here, and I've seen a lot, has still had the old retainer, I've never seen one that has been changed. Wonder why?

Was the MK-20 recall U.S. only or worldwide? I suspect it was only in the U.S. (maybe Europe too).

Was the MK-20 recall U.S. only or worldwide? I suspect it was only in the U.S. (maybe Europe too).

I don't know, maybe it was a U.S. recall. It's important to understand that the original retainers were not defective per-se, they were just intolerant of being manhandled by a careless tech without a torque wrench. With enough excess force they could split the body of the reg. The replacement retainers have a square shoulder so that no matter how idiotic a tech is, they will not be driven deeper into the body. The torque spec is only about 22 ft/lbs, not that high.

I'm gonna guess then that there was no such recall here as if there was you can bet they'd have all been changed over.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom