Exhaustive West Palm trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeFlaneur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Trip Report: West Palm Beach: July 9-10

My fiance surprised me with a birthday dive weekend in West Palm. She gets major cool points for that.

We went with Pura Vida Divers. We stayed at the Hilton on Singer Island and Pura Vida is 5 min away instead of on the mainland. However, this advantage is nullified by the fact that you still have to drive back to the mainland side of the bridge to get to their boat. Not really a problem, just worth noting.

Pura Vida is a fine operation with a very friendly staff. Good boat with fresh water rinse and shade under the wheel house. Some fumes in aft. We had 12 people on boat but half formed their own independent group. So we only had 6 on the dive.
Boat captains were on the ball picking up divers. The also set us up with float, map and info for a indie dive at Blue Heron Bridge.

July 9
Dive #1 Bath and Tennis - 50 fsw about 50-60 foot viz, 80 degrees , light current for West Palm. Decent dive, with the usual critters, however we heard over the vhf that one of West Palm’s elusive hammerheads was spotted here after we left.

Dive #2 The Breakers - 55 fsw , about 50-60 foot viz, 80 degrees, average current. Turtles, turtles, turtles. It's what we came for.

July 10
Dive #1 Mitzpah / Amaryllis - 85 fsw, 80 degrees. 40 foot viz. Not a visually spectacular wreck but fun with a little overhead section and many places to poke around and duck out of the current. Many Goliath groupers.

Dive #2 Double Ledge – 85 fsw, 70 degrees at bottom of drop site then, warmed as dive progressed, strong current viz of about 30 feet. Disappointing dive -- I think we lost the ledge due to current and spent most of it over an uninteresting slope.

Dive #3 Blue Heron Bridge -- West site
Lots of small critters – octopus, filefish, nudibranchs, lobsters and crabs, scorpion fish, skates, juvie porcupine fish, a couple of mating horseshoe crabs, buddy claims she saw a purple headed moray, looked for seahorses but didn’t find any. High tide was at 8:10 pm. We entered at about 7:30 and stayed for more than an hour, so we got a partial night dive. Never went below 15 fsw.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by West Palm. From my limited experience, coral did not match the Keys but marine life often surpassed it. And of course there are great beaches when you're not diving.

Food: Panama Hatties was kind of fun. Food at the Tiki Waterfront sea grill was better than I expected.

Lodging: The Hilton on Singer Island was fine -- better than you need if diving is your only focus. Since we had to check out at 11:00AM but our flight wasn't until 7:00PM we had the hotel hold our bags and spent the final day at the beach. A purchase of 30 min massages at the nice Marriott spa next door gave us a place to clean up and change. I think I'll use this strategy on further trips -- not exactly a money saver, but a nice way to solve a problem.

Well, this got long. Hope it helps somebody somewhere.

Thanks for the report. We have seen purple mouth morays at the bridge before.

July 9

Dive #2 Double Ledge – 85 fsw, 70 degrees at bottom of drop site then, warmed as dive progressed, strong current viz of about 30 feet. Disappointing dive -- I think we lost the ledge due to current and spent most of it over an uninteresting slope.

Do you know if you were on north or south double ledges: either way, its too bad you got blown off: both are nice dives where you are likely to see green morays, turtles, plenty of tropicals (though not as much as on the breakers) and nurse sharks: have also seen an occasional reef shark too. thanks for the dive report

Do you know if you were on north or south double ledges: either way, its too bad you got blown off: both are nice dives where you are likely to see green morays, turtles, plenty of tropicals (though not as much as on the breakers) and nurse sharks: have also seen an occasional reef shark too. thanks for the dive report

Sounds like South Doubles. When the first ledge ends you sometimes need to swim hard across current westward to get on the second ledge.

Dean and Shanna owners of Pura Vida are two of the nicest people involved in scuba I have ever met...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom