Existing dive conditions in Deep South / Sudan Red Sea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rramaley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,

We are going to do a liveaboard trip to Sudan Deep South / Suakin with Royal Evolution in a few weeks. I'm starting to plan what to bring. Can anyone give me an idea of the water temperatures currently being experienced down in that area? If there is no data for Sudan even knowing conditions of southern Egypt - like around Fury Shoal, St. John - would help. Please no one cite published Average Temperatures for April / May - I already know those - I would like to know the actuals being experienced this year.

I'm very conscious about weight limits with the airlines, so I want to bring only 1 wetsuit. Will it need to be a 5mm or can I get away with a 3mm?

Also speaking of weight limits, I'm also considering leaving my heavy jetfins at home and just bringing some average Scubapro fins (non split fin). My jetfins handle current much better but I could use the 3 lbs I'd save for other things. Any opinions on how important good fins are for diving the Deep South / Suakin itinerary?

Thanks!!

Hi,
Somebody posted this link on the forum a while ago. Enlarge the left hand map, Marsa Alam is at the first white line and a little lower is the small peninsula Ras Banas. Fury Shoal and St. John Reef are between here and the sudanese border.
Marsa Alaam Sea Surface Temperature (Red Sea, Egypt)
I was diving with a 4 mm shorty end April last year in the Quseir area and I thought that was on the edge with sea temp at approx. 25°C. Will be going back to the area next week and just bought a 5-4-3 Mares Flexa, its quite light compared to others.
Sorry have not been out on a live-aboard also not in that area (yet).
Happy diving !

"I was diving with a 4 mm shorty end April last year in the Quseir area and I thought that was on the edge with sea temp at approx. 25°C"

I was diving in Busselton, Western Australia in a 3mm suit, whilst every one else was in 7mm.... water temp....21°C
But then I do swim in the ice here also..... :D

Sanity left a long time ago :wink::mooner:

I was diving off Jeddah, Saudi Arabia about 2 weeks ago with water temps around 25/26C. Jeddah is a little bit north of Port Sudan but I would reckon comparable temperatures.

FYI, northern Red Sea (Ras Mo) is still at 23 surface / 22 below 20m. 5mm was necessary, especially on a livaboard, where the suit hardly ever gets dry. Some of my local friends are still in their dry suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom