Existing issues...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shellbird

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have some repetitive stress related issues in my elbow, hands and back, am I at greater risk of DCS injuries because the connecting tissues are already inflamed?

I have cronic epilcondilitis and some other similar issues.

Hi shellbird:

Inflamed Connective Tissue and Nitrogen Exchange

The sad fact of the matter is that anything that can hinder the exit of dissolved gas from the tissue will put you at a greater risk for DCS. Inflammation usually is accompanied by increased regional blood flow (reddening of the tissue) but is the diffusion distances in tissue are increased by the influx of fluid, a problem area could develop.

Inflamed Tissue and Pain :upset:

Additionally, one hypothesis (which I favor) states that increased pressure in a tissue (e.g., from a collection of growing gas bubbles) cause a tissue to swell and stretch nerve receptors. Inflamed tissues are already swollen from edema (influx of fluid) and small increases in the tissue pressure (from growing free gas phase) could cause pain that would not be felt if the tissue was not swollen.:boom:

I would suspect that this inflammation must be treated before one can decrease their risk of DCS joint pain.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Please note the next class in Decompression Physiology :grad:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Even if I don't get DCS, would I still be apt to feel increased joint pain as a result of regular recreational diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom