Expectations of OW certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
What are the expectations you have of a person with an OW certification?

Here's my thoughts. An OW certification to me means that the card holder has enough knowledge to not kill or injure him/herself simply by being underwater. Granted they may still do something that leads to death or injury but just the fact that they are UW shouldn't pose any problems.

In some threads that I have read I get the impression that holding an OW c-card means the diver is skilled and competent in all manner of diving and they shouldn't make any mistakes.

Of course you could be a person that has an OW c-card and 1,000+ dives under your belt.

IMHO not all C card holders should have been given the card to begin with. I can remember my OW class, theres always someone who is slow to learn or just cant do the some of the skills. But i saw them get a card none the less. just having the card / cert doesnt make you a compitent (sp) diver. It shows you have been instructed about the basics. I am not an instructor, but i wouldnt pass some of the students i have seen doing pool work, they needed further instruction. I am not saying they should quit, but i do think they should have been required to do more pool work. If they pay for a class and require additional instruction, its MHO the instructor should give it to them at no further cost. Some people are fast learners and some slower, it all balances out. if you pay to get certiified you should get it the required instruction you need even if its a couple orf extra pool and beach sessions. ( here come the flames)

Andy

2 - 3 extra pool and ocean sessions max. if you cant get it down by then, take up something else

Hmm, from my observation most card holders means exactly that. They applied, the credit was good.
I know many basic C card divers with 1000+ dives, I'll stack em against most newbie Instructors. I said most, not all.

Trymix,

Unfortunately, you are correct. There are lots of folks who were not ready when they received their cards, some never get better. You are also correct when you say, "if you pay to get certiified....." All too many dive instructors sell certifications. They should be selling instruction. There should never be any promise of a certification. The promise should be "on the successful completion of this class.........."

Although I fully understand that a dive shop can not exit from instruction only, one of the problems is that students are pushed to buy equipment prior to succesful completetion. I had plenty of rocks thrown against me for a simple question. "What refund policy does the shop has if a student is not qualified to get certified".

Originally posted by jbd
What are the expectations you have of a person with an OW certification?

Of course you could be a person that has an OW c-card and 1,000+ dives under your belt.

My expectations? I expect OW divers to apply what they were taught....before, during, and after every dive. I expect them to understand that not doing so can and probably will injure them or someone else...or worse......kill them or someone else.

I expect OW divers to understand that every time they enter the water, they are increasing thier chances of being killed. The better they understand the risks involved, the harder they will work to be safe and do it right.

By the way, OW divers are not the only ones who make mistakes and wind up on the Obit page. Read this years fatality report from DAN and you will find that even very experienced divers get killed all the time.

Statisticly, most that make stupid mistakes are those with less than 10 dives and those brave know it all that have seven years experience. After that wisdom and respect reduces the mistakes.

ScubyDoo

I can only wonder how many of those AOW and above divers in those obits are the same OW students we we are talking about.

There is no question that these divers exsist and certify to a highier lvl. Question is still did they earn it or was it still purchased. Granted this OW diver has improved there skills but im sure the AOW certs are handed out almost as readily as the OW. Im sure there are also those OW divers that do become good divers, its just a matter of practice in the form of diving your butt off.

This is why i applaud GUE's training standards, you earn this cert theres no freebees here.

Andy

It would seem to me that an OW diver with 1000+ dives 99% of the time has more than just OW cert. I would like to meet the OW diver with 1000+ dives with no desire to adv. his certification. I find it hard to believe there are more than a hand full.

There's no question that there are OW divers who "bought" thier C-cards. That is to say that they failed to absorb the lessons and skills necessary to be a competent and safe diver, yet were awarded a certification anyway.

There are also poor teachers, poor police officers, poor firemen, poor pilots, etc. It doesnt mean the entire system is falling apart. It just means that the world is not a perfect place, and those who fail to strive for perfection will pay the price.

I often wonder what the fascination/obsession is with divers.....why do they worry so much about the next guys abilities....the next guys training? Its understandable if one has to dive regularly with poorly trained people, but other than DM's and Instructors, I doubt many people using this forum ever experience that very much?

Anyway, I think diving is just a microcasm (is that a word)?, of the overall world we live in. There is sheer brilliance at the top, sheer stupidity at the bottom, and somewhere in between falls the rest of us. I see a lot of idealogues on this forum whom appear to want everyone to be perfect. Its a noble effort which should be applauded. I suppose if but one otherwise knucklehead diver is enlightened....its a victory.

Just a Thought....I was wondering if anyone knows or has even heard of anyone not getting certified because of lack of skills/learning?
How about it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom