Expensive but nice (extra safe) reef hook setup...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

insomniac

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently purchased a few items to make what I consider one of the best and safest reef hook setups (and probably the most expensive too).

First here is the Sharkhon ISLET Reef Hook:
IMG_3865-500x500.jpg

I purchased it from this site (they shipped it to me in the USA fast and relatively cheap): Sharkhon ISLET Reef Hook

It's very light weight, very study / well built. The magnet mount is cool and works well.

And on to what I consider makes this the safest setup. If you were in a strong current and had an emergency where you didn't have time to pull yourself down to disconnect the hook; i added a very simple device to the beginning of this setup; that was invented for kite boarders. It's very low profile, incredibly simple to use and it disconnects you immediately from your hook (without needing any dexterity to use it). Granted, if you use this while diving it probably means you will lose your hook; but at the end of the day if you are in a situation where it warranted using the safety quick disconnect; that would be the least of your worries.

Ozone Short Leash (Retail $30.00):

ozone-short-leash-i.jpg

This product above has been replaced with a newer model, but I think this older model works better for what I am using it for as it's lower profile and you can still find the old ones online (at the time of this post). All you have to do is push forward on the red part and it disconnects you instantly.

Here's a great video that shows how it works:
Anyways, I get that most people wouldn't want to drop this kind of money on a hook and safety disconnect. But it's easy for me to justify when I look at the overall price of the trip vs how nice this setup will be.

The primary purpose of this thread is to show the additional safety measure I added in the quick disconnect. I doubt I will ever be dumb enough to get myself into a situation where I need it; but just in case I do, I'll have it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom