Experience Level

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doubles not needed, wreck specialty not needed, aow nice but not necessary, nitrox...yeah, that makes a difference.

let us know when you're coming, and we might be able to go with you!

A lot depends on which part of NC you're diving. If you're going out of Hatteras then I would suggest hiring a dm to go with you, they're usually inexpensive. Even if only the first dive. It can be a rough dive or easy, depending on the day. The Wilmington area has some good beginning Atlantic dives. Like Herman said, Hyde and Markam are great starter dives and you'll usually end up seeing a sandtiger or two as a bonus.

I would stick to the Wilmington or Morehead/Beaufort areas my first couple of times diving off NC. Aquatic Safaris is a good op. Out of Beaufort/ Morehead City any of the ops are good. May want to take one of the Discovery or Olympus inshore dive trips to the Indra, Hutton, Soluide, or Parker the first couple of trips.

Post on the NC divers forum http://www.ncdivers.com/ . You can probably find a trip and a couple of divers willing to take you under their wing. It's a good group of people.

AL

BigWhiteSquare:
OMG OMG OMG! Al, you just mentioned that which may not be mentioned here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=2442317

There will undoubtedly be implications and repurcussions!

Totally missed that thread Frank. I guess I should quit linking to other Dive Operation's web pages when I'm making recommendations for any of the places I have dove before :shakehead .

Lisa - Frank, Rich, Bob, and Babyduck are some of the ones I'm talking about. Go on a charter with them to some of the inshore wrecks. You'll be in good hands.

War Eagle!! (couldn't help myself)
AL

I don't have the dive tables in front of me....but I have a question: assuming a single HP 100, how much time would be added to the bottom time if you went Nitrox instead of air?

NJMike:
I don't have the dive tables in front of me....but I have a question: assuming a single HP 100, how much time would be added to the bottom time if you went Nitrox instead of air?

That would depend on the depth and the gas mix you are diving.

Hmm, ok. The depth would be 115' fsw, but I don't know what the mix would be. Is there a standard that dive charters use?

NJMike:
Hmm, ok. The depth would be 115' fsw, but I don't know what the mix would be. Is there a standard that dive charters use?

The NC "standard" is typically 30%.

Herman is correct most Dive EANx30 for those depths, without the tables I would guess you would get another 10 minutes or so, but on air you are looking at 16/12 for 2 dives with 2 hour SI. I just remember that from my dives on the sub, using 80's. First dive, 16 minutes and a bit anxious and I had 200psi after a ten minute hang at 15'. Go 100's at least. Second dive at 12 minutes bottom time, more relaxed, I have 700psi after my safety stop. But we were the first ones back on the boat after both dives.

I went back and did my EAN training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom