Experienced Diver new to Scuba Board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alhuene

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I got all my certifications between 5-9 years ago but have only recently discovered Scuba Board. Due to finishing up grad school, my trips have been less frequent the last few years, but I'm excited to start meeting divers from the community and planning some trips in the near future. Two of my biggest trips have been to Bonaire and Cozumel, but there's still a lot of places to go on my bucket list!

One passion I have had the last few years that I am hoping to get a little more insight to through this board is the use of ASL or other sign languages that are recognized and accepted internationally for diving.

On my trips, I always had the convenience of going with people I knew and got certified with. My family also recently got certified, so I may have chances to dive with them in the future. But I'm also interested in experiencing the fantastic culture the diving community has and meeting the wonderful people that make it what it is.

lots of divers use American Sign Language, theres a deaf guy that does a lot of youtube videos Michael something, his gopro videos are fantastic, he communicates through sign language. above and below the water. I can hear just fine, and I also understand and can use ASL I just like his gopro instruction videos... where you will find difficulty is ASL generally requires you to also know what someone is saying, I.E. reading lips. Thats not as easy with a regulator in your mouth. white boards and pencils are a quick easy way to communicate.

In Italy we mostly use mute alphabet, not LIS (Lingua Italiana dei Segni).
alfabeto.gif

However, in US the deaf alphabet is more used instead, making use of just one hand:
set-di-sordo-e-muto-linguaggio-con-mani-femminili-e-alfabeto-latino-isolato-su-bianco-r8aagn.jpg

I got all my certifications between 5-9 years ago but have only recently discovered Scuba Board. Due to finishing up grad school, my trips have been less frequent the last few years, but I'm excited to start meeting divers from the community and planning some trips in the near future. Two of my biggest trips have been to Bonaire and Cozumel, but there's still a lot of places to go on my bucket list!

One passion I have had the last few years that I am hoping to get a little more insight to through this board is the use of ASL or other sign languages that are recognized and accepted internationally for diving.

On my trips, I always had the convenience of going with people I knew and got certified with. My family also recently got certified, so I may have chances to dive with them in the future. But I'm also interested in experiencing the fantastic culture the diving community has and meeting the wonderful people that make it what it is.
Welcome to ScubaBoard and thanks for joining us.

Back
Top Bottom