Experienced Diver to Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They dont require you to have dive master or anything first? I have padi advance open water / o2 admin / first aid + cpr /

you still need Rescue-divemaster- then go on to an assistant instr course conducted by an IDC staff instructor or go straight to an IDC and get efr instructor rating-asst instr -attend an IE ,,looking at $2500.+ after all said and done with required books and such..then you get to pay yearly for membership and insurance,so that can be around another $800.-$900. if you plan on just teaching some friends,do not bother.Just refer them to a instructor/facility and then dive with them.
Why such a high cost? It is what it is..
To be honest with you,I know this sounds wrong and unpopular here,but I prefer the high costs involved.It weeds out alot of the unsuccessfull instructors, usually inept ones, that may only teach for a year or two, and what may be left,for the most part, are the ones who are successfull at making $ at what they love to do.

It seems your interest to become an instructor just to teach a few friends and a class or two is not a good reason as well as a waste of money. In addition to all the courses and testing, you will need professional liability insurance, about $600 year for a private instuctor.

Better to just have your friends get certified, take all the money you would have spent and go somewhere tropical to dive for a week. I bet you will have a much better time.

good diving to you.

1. Complete rescue diver
2. Complete Divemaster Course (either through an internship or as a stand-alone course)
3. EFR (or equivalent) Instructor course (so long as this is done at some stage. You will not be certified as a PADI Instructor without it)

2 options now

4. Assistant Instructor course then Instructor Development Course (only the second part) followed by Instructor Exams

or

4. Attend a full Instructor Development Course followed by the Instructor Exams

I don't think so. Not with PADI anyway.

Instuctor up-dates. Read them. :wink:

TheWart has it right... IDC requirements changed, along with many other things in 2009/10.

Must be because they realised nobody was interested in renewing their useless EFRI status... myself included... so they needed a new revenue stream...

Myself included too. When something isn't successful... just change standards to force it upon people. :shakehead:

They dont require you to have dive master or anything first? I have padi advance open water / o2 admin / first aid + cpr /

Their requirements (Rescue + DM) always include the clause 'or equivalent'. It is worth investigating if any of the commercial qualifications you hold could stand as equivalents.

Divers can skip the AI course, if they already hold an instructor rating with another agency etc... but all PADI instructors have to pass the IDC (OWSI) and Instructor Exam, regardless of previous experience or any instructional qualifications they may hold with other agencies/organizations.

Yes you will need to be rescue and DM as well as first aid, which is rescue requirement and have completed 100 dives by end of course.

You're exactly right, Dave. I'm pursuing this right now - just starting my PADI Rescue Course. I took the EFR course last week. My Dive shop did a nice job with the class - very informative. A dvd from ILCOR was at the core of the program - along with role playing and demonstration of learned skills.

Is it just me, or was one of the girls in that ILCOR video super hot !?

John

It seems your interest to become an instructor just to teach a few friends and a class or two is not a good reason as well as a waste of money. In addition to all the courses and testing, you will need professional liability insurance, about $600 year for a private instuctor.

Better to just have your friends get certified, take all the money you would have spent and go somewhere tropical to dive for a week. I bet you will have a much better time.

good diving to you.

My aim would to be to teach enough classes to cover the cost of the initial training right away and after that enough to cover my yearly insurance, Anything after that would be a bonus. It is something I want to try out and if i enjoy it possibly pursue it more.

My aim would to be to teach enough classes to cover the cost of the initial training right away and after that enough to cover my yearly insurance, Anything after that would be a bonus. It is something I want to try out and if i enjoy it possibly pursue it more.

I did my IDC six years ago.

I still don't think I've managed to recoup the cost! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom