Experienced eyes and too small guages!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuintessentialMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, there are a few of us in here with experienced eyes that have difficulty reading these too small guages. I tried diopter inserts but feel like there are better solutions. My dive buddy carries a small plastic magnifier but that takes too many hands (although I'm considering it). Don't really want to do the prescription mask. Mainly I'm looking for ideas from what solutions you guys have come up with.

I have to agree. Prescription masks are your answer. Sure they cost a bit more but well worth it.

Options that I'm aware of (repeats some provided suggestions):
  • Off the shelf prescription lenses: relatively cheap, easy to swap out yourself with compatible dual lens masks, excellent for single prescription solutions.
  • Custom prescription lenses: perfect underwater match to above water prescription, but expensive and timely.
  • Stick on Magnification lenses: This is what I use after OTC prescription lenses did not work out. I have a progressive prescription, so a single +/- lens would give me poor mid-range, but great close up (or vice versa). These reusable no-glue add-ons were perfect as they act like a built-in reader of the same strength as my "close-up" progressive stage. Even better, I don't need both as I only need one in my right lens to view my dive watch screen on my right wrist. Here's an example to ensure we're both talking about the same thing Stick On Magnification Lenses
  • Larger Dive Computer: IF your issue is with a small DC screen and the budget allows, you could go to a larger wrist mount display.
  • Larger Gauge: IF you're having issues viewing a single (non-clustered) SPG, Halcyon makes a slightly larger than standard model (this is what my wife uses).
For the last two are moot if your issues are with viewing console gauges/computers. For me personally, I messed up by trying single strength lenses when I basically only needed an underwater "reader" solution, which my stick-ons provide without interfering with mid to distance field of view.

I use the scubapro D mask, easy to change the lenses and you can buy different power lenses directly. I use +1.5 in each lens and have no problem reading my Teric plus I can actually see little critters.

I have one of those stick on lens the same diopter strength as my readers. I had two but one floated off... thing is, I can see most everything just do not focus well on the small stuff, low light makes it worse. Just got one of those little uw box cameras and realized I can't focus on the screen underwater. About two years ago I was put on full time progressive lenses.

Any recommendations on prescription masks mfgs?

I have one of those stick on lens the same diopter strength as my readers. I had two but one floated off... thing is, I can see most everything just do not focus well on the small stuff, low light makes it worse. Just got one of those little uw box cameras and realized I can't focus on the screen underwater. About two years ago I was put on full time progressive lenses.

I have a Sony/Nauticam camera rig and could not see the screen, f-stops or shutter speeds. My B&G spg was not so much of a problem because I need only look at it two or three times per dive and only need to see the position of the needle, not actually read a number. My computer was a problem in low light (though my new Shearwater would probably not be, big, bright screen). I had used the stick on lenses with some success but my vision is just deteriorated up close and the stick on type were a stop gap.

These are the people you should use:

Be sure to send them a brand new (high quality) mask that you otherwise enjoy. The lenses may add about .25 inches thickness on the inside so make sure that will not cause the lens to bump your noggin.

If you go with the stick on lenses clean the Hades out of the mask lens. Use Dawn soap and really hot water as a pretreatment. Install the lenses with hot water and then let them dry for several days. They usually stay on for a diving season.

James

Stick on Magnification lenses: This is what I use after OTC prescription lenses did not work out. I have a progressive prescription, so a single +/- lens would give me poor mid-range, but great close up (or vice versa). These reusable no-glue add-ons were perfect as they act like a built-in reader of the same strength as my "close-up" progressive stage. Even better, I don't need both as I only need one in my right lens to view my dive watch screen on my right wrist. Here's an example to ensure we're both talking about the same thing Stick On Magnification Lenses
How many dives have you done with the stick on lenses? I’ve read many times over that they do not stay on well after repeated dives. If yours have lasted awhile what method did you use to keep them in place other than the glue that comes with the product?

There are a couple of other threads on here that also discuss this topic.

Many of us have found success with a prescription mask (mine is also progressive) from SeaVision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom