Experienced Only Need Reply

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To all who have posted so far- Thank You! I assumed that bouyancy control would be an important skill as it is the primary one I am struggling with now. Are there any drills that anyone can suggest? I have seen several posts describing how to determine proper weighting. After achieving proper total weighting, what should one do? I am currently using a 7mm wet suit and an AL80 and need 30-32 lbs currently in my local quarries. How much weight should I have on my back and where should it be? Near top of tank? Near the bottom? I am using a back inflate bc and can place weight virtually anywhere.

Buoyancy will keep you at one spot in the water column... trim will keep your orientation at it's best. For this you have to do some serious pool time as well as ocean time. Play with the weight in your gear... move it around. Move your tank around and see how you hover. Feet slightly higher than your head is a great starting point... but you should be able to maintain any orientation that you need... and the correct depth too. This takes tank after tank of practice, but is well worth it.

AquaTec once bubbled...
. . . what skill did i admire in them......i think it is humility in their skills. but still their is something that seperates some from others.
. . . so i guess there are two skills i see as most important to practice

1 - humility
2 - the practice of practicing your skills often

Right on the button, Aquatec! It is a state of mind.

From my own perspective - as a "born again" diver - the skill that is so easily dismissed is "reflex" midwater bouyancy control. I do not believe this can be taught, it only came to me with considerable practice using exactly the same kit making minor adjustments to the weight etc. I nearly gave up in dispair and only persisted with the encouragement of the minority real "divers" I know who continuously reassured me that it would eventually come. However, I am the first to admit I still have some way to go.

Unlike riding a bike, there are a number of sources of air-cell bouyancy, of many Kgs, needed to compensate for heavy kit (wing and dry suit for example) each of which suffers from positive feedback (Bouyancy increases with ascent and visa versa). The cerebellum does take over in time once it has been "programmed" to make it seem easy. (This is how we can drive a car with a gear shift, or ride a bike, without thinking about it.)

The Kg or so of bouyancy from breathing control can only be brought into the equation when air cell control has been fully mastered because, like alll men, my brain can only concentrate on one thing at a time! I for one admit that demostrating neutral bouyancy in a pool or at the bottom on a dive is some orders of magnitude easier that doing this in open water at varying depths during the ascent. Once that has also been programmed into my cerebellum is the time I can safely concentrate on other things.

I look forward to the time when I too can practice shut downs etc. while perfectly holding a perfect stop depth. Perhaps after another 50 or so dives?

Until then I readily admit I am a relative novice and will limit my diving "range".

I like your standards Sydney_Diver.
However I couldn't set a fixed number of 500 dives.
Certainly the number to attain that level of proficency would be in the hundreds I'm sure.

on the lighter side:
The diver would also have to be a drop dead gorgeous female,
with the insatiable desire to have my children.

Now that I can admire.
Oops, I forgot , I'm already married to her.
(LOL)

Mike D
:blfish:

I think the skills I admire most in other divers are environment awarness - includes buoyancy, the dangely thing etc as well leave the shells, don't poke at the fish...and buddy awarness.

The people that worry me: 1.Lots of chatter before a dive distracts me and affects concentration. (Nervous people often tend to talk alot) 2.People that have worn, poorly-perfoming gear worry me (Nothing wrong with old gear if it is properly maintanined and performs properly) 3.People that need nursemaiding or will do trust-me dives.
I like someone that: 1.Has their act together 2.Has their gear configured in an intelligent fasion 3.Asks intelligent, relevent questions 4.Doesn't appear dependent upon anyone, nor depends upon anyone 5.People that show a healthy interest in the logistics of the divesite, not a worried concern. 6. People that want to learn and don't have to brag about having been there done that. EVERY diver is/should always be learning - throughout their diving lifetime.
Enjoy and get all of the (varied) experience that you can!
JMO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom