Experiences in Solo dive courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taking a solo diving course seems somewhat ironic doesn't it? It's kinda like someone teaching you how to masturbate.

Taking a solo diving course seems somewhat ironic doesn't it? It's kinda like someone teaching you how to masturbate.
I guess so, if you're the kind of person who has already learned everything there is to know about it by practicing over and over until you got it right.

Think about it....If you had to show someone a special card in order to masturbate alone, and they had the power to prevent you from masturbating if you didn't have said card....wouldn't you go get the card regardless of how good you were at masturbating by yourself already just so you could do it whenever you wanted to?

I guess so, if you're the kind of person who has already learned everything there is to know about it by practicing over and over until you got it right.

Ahhh...so you're saying someone could potentially help me "bone-up" on my masturbation skills. Make it less likely that I'll "pull a boner" while pulling my boner. Make me a better-bater as it were...maybe even a Master-bater!

Think about it....If you had to show someone a special card in order to masturbate alone, and they had the power to prevent you from masturbating if you didn't have said card....wouldn't you go get the card regardless of how good you were at masturbating by yourself already just so you could do it whenever you wanted to?

Masturbation certification?!? Sounds like something that might've gotten snuck into the Patriot Act ("Anyone caught masturbating without governmental authorization will be detained as a potential terrorist threat. Non-certified masturbators hate our freedom and therefore blahblahblah...")

But seriously, I do understand that the course could be of benefit in terms of improving skills, forcing one to assess oneself honestly, and/or allowing one to dive solo on charters that require solo-certification. My reason for writing that post was because I thought it was a funny analogy.

Last edited:
I thank everyone for their posts but i may have not communicated what I was after correctly. I am not interested in taking the course, per se. I am more interested in what people have gotten out of the course. I am curious about the course in the same train of logic that many people have noted, of weather or not it was worth it. But more to the point if there was something specific that you got out of the course that you didn't know or couldn't do that WAS worth it. I know there are a lot of people out there who say it is worthless to take and many that took it only for the certification, but surely there is something we can learn from any endeavor.

In a sense, just wondering if it gave you knowledge, skills, or insight that you didn't already have, thus making it a learning experience.

btw diver_doug: in the case of the masturbation certification. Unlike the solo diver course, that is one course where I would want all my single handed (or double if that's your thing) hard work, learning, and equipment to result in an uncontrollable blow out. :D

Since you have two hands would you need a dual certification?:mooner:

You mean a government certification, when the right hand doesn't know what the left hand knows?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom