Experiences in Solo dive courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nielsent

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Okay, so I have noticed that in this forum there is a lot about the solo diving course and if someone should take the course or not, but there is little regarding the course itself. I was curious if people would be willing to share their experience of taking this course.

More specifically:

1) Where you took it?
2) Why you decided to take it?
3) What it was you liked/disliked about the course?
4) Did it make you a better solo diver for taking it?

If you want to say who you took it with, or if you would like to include criticisms, I am interested in those too. I just didn't want the thread to turn into either a sales pitch for an instructor or mud slinging about the value of the course. I have become rather interested in this course, and am curious what other people's experiences with it are.

I took the SDI solo course because the operators of the Flower Gardens boats permitted solo diving only for solo certified divers. I took it at Lk Travis. I was already suitably equipped and did not expect to learn much new. My expectations were met and I was satisfied.

I took the course because I want to dive Mammoth Lake which requires a solo cert for solo divers. Took it at Grapevine Scuba. I've dived solo since I was certified, and about 50% of my dives are solo. I enjoyed the class--it had some good info.

I haven't taken an official "solo" course, but I do solo dive, usually in caves, and teach 2 solo courses. I will caution you if you decide to take a solo course. SDI's solo course can be a very good course, but not if taught at the bare minimum standards. There's not much to it. It's way too basic of a course IMO. A better course as far as standards go IMO is the IANTD Self-Sufficient Diver course. There's just a lot more to it. Now, I realize that some operations may not recognize that as a "solo" course because it's not named that. What I like to do is offer students both certifications at the completion of the course. The SDI course is basically day 1 of IANTD's course. So when you shop for an instructor, look for one who has a good course that's actually going to teach you something. And make sure the instructor you choose actually solo dives...and not just at local quarries in 30 ffw. There's one thing about solo diving where you know all you have to do is ascend to the surface to get to unlimited air. It's an entirely different thing to be 4000' away from the surface in a cave alone.

I took it for the same reason that AWAP took it. If I go on a trip and my regular dive buddy is not with me, I prefer to dive alone than with an insta-buddy. The Flower Gardens is one of those places.
I was already a dive master and had been diving solo with redundant air sources for a considerable amount of time before I got the cert. Even if you don't dive solo, it's a good class. It introduces you to redundant air sources, how to determine gas consumption, and if you have a good instructor he/she will help you determine what size bottle is best for your type of diving and show you different ways to carry it.

Like awap, I took the SDI solo course just to have the card. I took the course in Key Largo, can't remember where.

I did not learn anything new from the course. I didn't expect to learn anything new.

Most of the SDI solo course covers old material that you would have already seen in OW or AOW. Basic scuba stuff. It's really a waste of time, except for the fact that a lot of boat operators won't let you dive solo without that C-card.

I discovered a far more simpler way to dive solo from boats without a solo c-card: I team with another dive pair as a group of three. Then I let them know that I will "accidentally" (wink, wink, nod, nod) get separated from them once we get under water. They go on their way, I go on my way solo.

Last edited:
I took the course specifically so I can solo without hassle at a local quarry (Lake Rawlings) or on a local dive boat (Miss Lindsey) run by same shop where I took the course in VA Beach, Lynnhaven Dive Center. Both places are happy to let you solo with the card, and frown on it without. I can't really say I learned anything new in the course, I just demonstrated skills I already was practicing and in which I was proficient. Having read the book Solo Diving (Von Meier), and many solo threads on this board, I was already well versed in the thought processes taught in the course. I was already diving with a slung pony, so nothing new there. I did think the SDI course manual was well written, better than the Von Meier book, and I enjoyed reading it and doing the review questions as required by the instructor. Bottom line: glad I did it so I don't have to go into stealth mode if I am soloing in the quarry or off the boat, but I can't say I learned a lot of new info.

One more thing bears mentioning. SDI requires you sign some heavy-duty liability release forms, specifically tailored to the additional risks associated with solo diving, as part of the cert. No release, no card. They also give you copies to give to dive operators as needed. I am sure that release has much to do with operators requiring the card to dive solo, probably more than anything else.

I've also got the SDI solo cert and did it to have the card for dive travel, just in case. When I dive here at home, nobody cares whether I jump in solo or not.

What I recall most from the course was a big emphasis on planning and preparation. By the time I did the solo course, I already had IANTD training/certs with stage bottles, so carrying a pony didn't involve a new skill set for me, though it was new for some of my classmates.

Little backwards, probably why I learned a lot. I took SDI's course right after my OW, didn't have enough dives to get the card at that point but the instructor was great. Learned way more than was in the book, was good to take before I purchased all my own gear. Even if you don't solo dive it's a good course to take.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom