Explanation of DIR Concepts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caver95:
Well if your that good, why have a spg at all?

Very good question indeed, you can eliminate another failure point by removing the SPG.

This question wasn't meant to run down any practices. I was just interested in the reasoning behind the concept. I think it's safe to say that we all know it is important to monitor our actual tank pressure.

RDP:
This question wasn't meant to run down any practices. I was just interested in the reasoning behind the concept. I think it's safe to say that we all know it is important to monitor our actual tank pressure.
But I think you have to be that good because what if it fails on you. you need to know and if you dont have a perfect understanding of your SAC, and your SPG fails YOU WILL DIE. :11: OK I am now just being an ***. :wink:

Gary D.:
Just playing the Devils Advocate.

If you have an SPG clipped off why not have it all clipped off in one compact package. Having seperate bands for the Compass, Computer and what ever add another failure point for Each item. Items that are wrist mounted are at a far greater rish of being lost than on a console.

First, remember, DIR is all about using the exact same foundation everytime. As the dives get more complex, the basics stay the same. Recall that one of the more pinacle expressions of DIR diving is that with multiple stages and multiple scooters. It would be a rather frustrating exercise to try to do this while holding onto a console when instead a quick glance at your wrists will tell you your direction, depth, time etc. Training the same muscle memory and system makes it much easier to learn further steps in the chain of complexity.

Besides, we replace breakable straps with relatively bombproof bungie cords (rigged to offer redundancy in case one snaps) on our wrist mounted gear...they aren't getting lost anytime soon.

Also, the SPG is a backup to the gauge in your brain, the more you dive, the better you'll get at estimating how much gas you have and a SPG is a double check.

btw, Brian, my bungies are robust... bombproof went out years ago... :wink:

Ben

ShakaZulu:
I think it's more a pain in the @#$ to clip/unclip that SPG to look at your remaining air. But I guess that if you are DIR, you know your SAC rate and can basicly estimate the remaining air by monitoring your timer........

I only look at my SPG once every 5 minutes and it takes all of 10 seconds to unclip it, check it, and reclip it. Take a 60 minute dive...that's only 2 minutes out of your dive. It's just muscle memory...maybe not simple at first, but becomes ridiculously easy and second nature very rapidly.

Gary D.:
If you have an SPG clipped off why not have it all clipped off in one compact package. Having seperate bands for the Compass, Computer and what ever add another failure point for Each item. Items that are wrist mounted are at a far greater rish of being lost than on a console.

Because then the guages aren't where they need to be. Direction and depth/time must be always accessible, a glance away. your SPG doesn't need to be that close.

So what if you do lose one? Dive's over and you get a new one.

Snowbear:
Hey, Soggy - how come it takes you so long?

Oh the temptation.... oh the temptation..... Must resist.

Ok. resisted. But please Snowbear. Don't encourage him to schedule more practice dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom