Explanation on what's required for Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to watch the buoyancy characteristics of tanks that come from different manufacturers. Luxfer and Catalina aluminum tanks can have VERY different buoyancy characteristics. The Luxfer tank will be +4 when empty, but the Catalina may be neutral; if you try to double them up, you'll end up badly out of balance. It's best to double up tanks from the same manufacturer and from the same series (for example, Faber has tanks that are the same size but VERY different in characteristics).

Thanks for all of the input everyone! Really a wealth of information here.

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not... but must the tanks be of the same manufacturer? I currently have a Catalina S80.

As I mentioned earlier, if you buy another AL80 to use with yours in a doubles set, you must make sure they're the same manufacturer. Catalina S80 is +4 empty, the luxfers are +4.4, and the dimensions are slightly different.

Best bet is to find another Catalina, or maybe find someone who will sell you two luxfers, take the Catalina in partial trade, something like that. I like Catalinas better, I was in the same position you're in, I had one, so I found another used at a good price.

Last edited:
With the recent upswing in popularity of sidemount, used manifolds/bands are all over the place. Used AL80s are likewise very easy to find. Paying $750 for a set of double AL80s is not a good deal IMO. I'd be thinking closer to $150 for both tank, $100-150 for bands and a manifold. Maybe prices are a lot higher up where you are.

No I just have a feeling that this individual is trying to swindle people... I will discuss pricing with him when I check the tanks out but if he can't bring it down I'll just walk.

Here in GTA I was buying tanks for $150 , I was getting a manifold from DGE for $150 and bands from pirahna for $80 or $90 do not remember well exactly. So a set would be $540 brand shiny new. 750 for AL80 is just a highway robbery. For that money here you can get a set of LP104s in a very good state with hydro and vis an sometimes 18/45 in them :)

Here in GTA I was buying tanks for $150 , I was getting a manifold from DGE for $150 and bands from pirahna for $80 or $90 do not remember well exactly. So a set would be $540 brand shiny new. 750 for AL80 is just a highway robbery. For that money here you can get a set of LP104s in a very good state with hydro and vis an sometimes 18/45 in them :)

That was my opinion... at 750 I figured I might as well spend the extra money for a set of steels. I will be going to talk to the owner of the shop in question to see if I can bring the price down a bit today.

Any news on what you ended up picking?

Just to let you know, I picked up two AL80s today and a pair of OMS bands and I'll be matching those up. So I'll be likely to be diving double AL80s on GUE-F next spring with ya!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom