Exploding scuba tank kills one - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, valve would make more sense. Although, they went further into specifics by explaining that the regulator "controls the pressure of the gases that divers inhale," thereby making it sound even more like they did mean regulator.

Well, maybe it was valve, and someone at the newspaper heard "regulator," and then subsequently researched to see what a regulator did, and then expanded upon it for the article. Valve does sound much more logical.

Then too, they mention a missing regulator from the shop, so who knows. I guess we wait and see (meanwhile noodling it ourselves, of course).

I agree, valve would make more sense. Although, they went further into specifics by explaining that the regulator "controls the pressure of the gases that divers inhale," thereby making it sound even more like they did mean regulator.

Well, maybe it was valve, and someone at the newspaper heard "regulator," and then subsequently researched to see what a regulator did, and then expanded upon it for the article. Valve does sound much more logical.

Then too, they mention a missing regulator from the shop, so who knows. I guess we wait and see (meanwhile noodling it ourselves, of course).

Don't forget, it is the media we are talking about LOL.

I see no reason why the authorities would go back to search for a regulator, something they could not reasonably expect to be attached to the tank at that point. The valve of course is a different matter.

Since some people are wondering about lifting the rail cars a foot off the ground, he likely got that figure using the particle kinematic equations (think back to basic high school physics):

1) Get rid of imperial units because they're awful:
According to him a tank has E_tank = 1,300,000 ft-lb *1.356 (joules/ft-lb) = 1,760,000 joules
The mass of the rail cars is M = 4 * 88 ton * 2000 (lb/ton) * .4536 (kg/lb) = 319,000 kg

2) Assume all of the potential energy in the tank is instantly and reversibly (impossible, btw) converted to kinetic energy in the rail cars:
E_cars=E_tank

3) Assume all of this kinetic energy is used to lift the rail cars vertically off the ground. At the highest point of its flight (h meters off the ground), all of the kinetic energy will have been converted into gravitational potential energy:
PE = M * g * h = E_cars
where g is the gravitational acceleration constant 9.8 m/s^2

4) Solve for h
h = E_tank / M / g = 1,760,000 (kg*m^2/s^2) / 319,000 kg / 9.8 (m/s^2) = 0.563 m

5) convert to back to feet
0.563 m * (3.28 ft/m) = 1.85 ft*

* (If you use the 1,242,000 joules given in the "How much energy..." link you get 1.3 ft)

There are valve/first stage combos out there. Tilos makes one. I seriously doubt that's what they meant, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Honestly, I'd sell the tanks for scrap AL or make a wind chime or mailbox, or retaining wall...:D IJS

We could devise a test for such AL tanks.
Test each and every one of those old tanks by taking it up to say +5000#, in a safe environment, and see at what pressure each tanks fails. At that point you would know how unsafe that tanks would have been, had you actually been using it :gas:
Would not have much effect on it's scrap value, and we might be able to make a bit of extra $ on side bets on each tank's fail pressure. :D

:hm: wonder if there are any Obama bucks available for a grant to do this valuable study

It's possible the pony had a valve and first stage as a unit.

The new Zeagle RaZor is one, but there are others.

standard-Fill-adapter-w-tan.jpg

Last edited:
We could devise a test for such AL tanks.
Test each and every one of those old tanks by taking it up to say +5000#, in a safe environment, and see at what pressure each tanks fails. At that point you would know how unsafe that tanks would have been, had you actually been using it :gas:
Would not have much effect on it's scrap value, and we might be able to make a bit of extra $ on side bets on each tank's fail pressure. :D

:hm: wonder if there are any Obama bucks available for a grant to do this valuable study

Good idea, I think we should call the test a hydro.

Don't forget, it is the media we are talking about LOL.

I see no reason why the authorities would go back to search for a regulator, something they could not reasonably expect to be attached to the tank at that point. The valve of course is a different matter.
Hmmm.... well, if it was a deco bottle, maybe they aren't so far off the mark after all. Here's one of mine, before it gets carried out to the truck...
2011-09-15_07-50-24_521.jpg
:)
Rick

Good idea, I think we should call the test a hydro.

Make it "super Hydro", then. going past whatever pressure it takes to guarantee failure of the questionable AL tank, being the end goal

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom